i dunno what to do.

my three week old, almost four week old ( on wens ) wont sleep anywhere but in either mine or my boyfriends arms or on our chest, regardless where, she wont sleep unless she is held... we put her down in her pack and play at night and within ten minutes she is crying.... I tired swaddling her, she hates it... I tired just leaving her be for a bit and see if she is just fussy from being moved, but she ends up crying and i think its to early to let her "Cry it out".... I dunno what to do though... its day and night.... any advice???? Please help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:49 AM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• she is still very tiny, I let my son sleep on my chest for the first 2 months, and then he slowly got used to his crib. Enjoy the snuggling while you can. but i agree its too early to let her CIO.
    HelloKitty86

Answer by HelloKitty86 at 2:00 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Our daughter was like that the first few weeks too. She's 5 and a half weeks now. Try propping up the mattress by putting something under it so that it's propped up. Maybe she just doesn't like to be flat, we figured out that was the problem with her. She sleeps great propped up.
    jmpeskie

Answer by jmpeskie at 2:11 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• My three kids did that too. Good luck momma. We just let them sleep that way. I slept in the recliner for two years. LOL
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:22 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I definately agree that it is too early for CIO (Im not THAT big of a fan of it anyway) I would try laying her down with a paci if you are ok with pacis. It has really helped my little gilr. And it has gotten to the point where I really dont do it now. (she is 4months) I lay her down and she know, this is where I go to sleep. No need for a paci. My little girl also liked to be held to sleep though. Its nice that they want that and for now I wouldnt say that it is bad. But slowly try to get her to sleep elsewhere.
    HunnysFarAway

Answer by HunnysFarAway at 2:23 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• My son preferred to sleep in his swing or in his little cozy vibrating chair for the first couple months. its a lot more cozy for them that way....even the carseat works too!! ino a lot of people that let ther kids sleep in the carseats....as long as theyre safe and sleeping!! tis nice that way cuz you can put them in your room too...good luck and sweet dreams when you can get them!
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 2:54 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I actually try to put my son down on his side and he sems to sleep better and longer that way, but sometimes rolls back his back anyway. If you're worried about her rolling onto her stomach, you can try laying her on her back, but try to prop her slightly to the side by putting a rolled or folded blanket behind her, or try a sleep positioner.
    Swaddling alone is not the trick - check out "Happiest Baby on the Block" - swaddle, then hold her on her side, make shh sound in her hear - loud enough so she can hear over her crying, hold her on her side and gently jiggle or sway side to side w/ her. Try a pacifier (it's ok for them to fall asleep w/ them.)
    If she starts to fuss after laying down, offer her a pacifier and just rest your hands on her chest and/or rub her head gently and try to soothe her back to sleep w/o actually picking her back up.
    notreally69

Answer by notreally69 at 5:15 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• My boys hated being swaddled, too!

Think about it though...she's held nice and snug, then laid down in a cold crib with her arms loose, she can't curl up any more....

I used fleece or knit sheets instead of the usual cotton ones. That helped. (not as "cold" to lay down on)

The other solution for OUR boys is not popular with the general population. We put them on their tummies. They went from sleeping 10 minutes to 3 hours. BUT I was okay with MY decision for MY boys after I did a lot of reading of the studies out there (studies, not articles). I am not suggesting or recommending it, merely stating what worked for us.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:25 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• My son was exactly the same way and now he's 6 1/2 weeks and sleeping through the night. he sleeps in his bassinet because it is smaller than his crib and more cozy. I stuck a sheet under the mattress to prop his head up...most babies seem to hate sleeping completely flat so maybe try that?? Just whatever you do, do the same routine. Dont keep changing her nightly sleeping location/position. That way she'll lay down and know its bedtime. it's hard having to hold them so long at night when you are so tired and just want to sleep but just like anything else...it'll pass and they'll be on their own. It goes by so fast so just hang on to the good times of being able to cuddle them like that at night
    CassiRae3

Answer by CassiRae3 at 6:57 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I had the same issue with my baby. I almost lost my mind, but I finally realized that the reason she wanted to sleep on my chest was because she could hear my heartbeat and at that young age that is the most soothing sound of all. All babies need to feel safe and comforted and when they are put down in a crib or bassinett they feel alone. Young babies like yours need more confinement than space. The car seat and bouncey seats work well because they are more confined. Baby just wants it to feel like it did in mommy's belly.
    wantherout08

Answer by wantherout08 at 9:10 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• My dd hates being on her back so I use a sleep positioner and she sleeps on her side. She's 8 months now and has always slept with us but she sleeps better if she has something behind her back.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:21 AM on Apr. 24, 2009