• In the Spotlight:

Do you think my son has a sensory problem?

My son is just about a year old. Lately I have noticed him spitting alot of foods out that I offer him. He has always been a good eater other than this but he almost seems disgusted with certain foods. I don't think it is the taste but of course it is hard to really say. He won't eat alot of things and I keep offering them. I do not think he is getting enough calories. He is pretty big but I am worried he is going to become unhealthy. Also when he goes near my grandma's plants he gets the weirdest look on his face like he is afraid it is going to touch him and when it brushes against him he makes this face like OMG!! I dunno I may just be scared I am a first time mom.

KamrensMommie

Asked by KamrensMommie at 1:53 AM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It could be. Look into sensory processing dysfunction or disorder.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:54 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I dont think it sounds like anything its wrong, jsut learning all about the world around him. some kids dont like certain textures of foods. but you are the only one that know your child, so if you feel that something is wrong dont be ashamed to talk to your dr about it. it never hurts.
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 2:51 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Having two with SPD, I don't think he has it. However, it wouldn't hurt to have an OT check him out.

Mine won't touch anything new with their hands, new foods won't even go IN their mouths right away and when it does, they don't just spit it out...they gag and almost vomit.

Loud, high pitched sounds are a major problem...I mean MAJOR. Running in circles, screaming, etc...

There are varying degrees, as with just about anything...if you're concerned have him evaluated. But based on just what you wrote, and comparing to my personal experience with it, I'm going to guess....not so much.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:32 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• is he still on baby food, or is he up to table foods? If he's still on baby foods, he may just be getting sick of the foods. My DD would do that (get tired of certain foods).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:16 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• He is on table food because he got sick of the baby food. Thanks for everyones help.
    KamrensMommie

Answer by KamrensMommie at 1:49 PM on Apr. 24, 2009