sister diagnosed with MS today...

MY sister was just diagnosed with MS today and I was wondering if any of you could tell me anything about it and what to expect. She is about to turn 30. She has two kids one 11 and the other 3. She has nobody to take the kids if it gets too bad just my mom and I are really the only family and I am the only one with the time for the kids.....

Bugsmommy1908

Asked by Bugsmommy1908 at 2:07 AM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Health

• Sorry to hear that. MS is definitely a challenging but manageable condition. Just support her and as she learns to adapt, so will you and the family. She will have good and bad days. I have a co-worker with MS. She is doing very well, although she has had a few bad episodes of shaky legs and other symptoms that kept her home for days at a time. It's an unpredictable disease. Just read up and, like I said, you will all learn to adapt.
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 2:12 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• It can get really bad. My MIL has it, and since she lives with us, I have to see her pain everyday. She has had it for about 10 years, and she cant walk with out her walker, she can hardly get out of bed, she falls alot, she cant get up and down stairs, she is very slow. As your sister gets older, it will be harder. She will get to the point where it will be best for her to have a live in care giver. she will have painful shots in her legs, and may need leg braces. it is a horrible disease, and dont let anyone tell you otherwise.
    HelloKitty86

Answer by HelloKitty86 at 2:23 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• She lives an hour away...she will have to move with us huh?
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 2:47 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• www.webmd.com or www.mayoclinic.com hopefully these should help, they usually have a lot of info. sorry to hear about your sister. My cousin had that and he jsut tried some experimental chemo to fight it. i dont know much about it, but i know its pretty serious.
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 2:48 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• it would probably be best if she did move in with you. my MIL also has seizures.
    HelloKitty86

Answer by HelloKitty86 at 3:09 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I'm sorry to hear that, my older sis was diagnosed in her early 20's. Now she's in her late 30's and it's started to affect her more and more in the last few years. She misses work occasionally, sometimes for months at a time. She also has dealt with some slight memory loss and her vision has gotten bad to where she is not supposed to be driving at night anymore. She's been handling herself very well, and so far, her case is pretty mild and she has a lot of support. I worry about her, but I know she's the type not to complain. She's tired all of the time, but I can't tell if that's the MS or her 7 children... There are MS support groups, and I have a link about MS on my CM homepage, if you're interested.
    ThaMCE

Answer by ThaMCE at 3:42 AM on Apr. 24, 2009