Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

have you sent an inmate money?

My nephew is in prison for the next year and can't call his gf or his son because he has no do i send money? do I send it to him or to the facility???

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:51 AM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (13)
  • can I write a letter to him and add the check????

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:51 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

  • you need to get a money order, and then send it to him. they check the mail before he gets it, and then they will put the money on his books. You can call the jail, and the will tell you exactly how to do it. Also if you go visit him, when you sign in to see him, let the officer know that you would like to put money on his books. Phone cards are expensive though, so remember that, ok?

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:01 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

  • I already put a check in the envelope with the letter...and thought about this if i send the check they will just send it back?????

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:05 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

  • they might, it depends on the jail. but if they do, it might take a couple weeks.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:07 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

  • yes they will send the check back. my brother was is jail for 4 yrs and they do NOT accept checks. you can google the jail (if you know the name) and find it's website, they all have them these days, alot of times you can send a western union over the internet, which is very convenient!

    Answer by robbinsme at 3:08 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

  • it DOES depend on the jail, my ex was in a few different ones, and 2 of them accepted checks.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:12 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

  • ok so since the envelope is stampted and sealed i guess I will just try it but in the mean time get a money order and do that as well all I know is he is going crazy not being able to call to find out what is going on.....

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:16 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

  • I think it has to be a US Postal money order, but I'm not sure, its been years since I have done it. And yeah, you send it to him and they will keep it and put it on his account.

    Just to make sure, do a google search on the prison that he is in and see if they have a website. They usually have info on the rules for that stuff there. There is usually a limit to how much you can send too. If you can't find any info then see if you can email someone on the staff and get some answers.

    Answer by pajamk at 3:26 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

  • You can send him money on the Western Union website and it would be a Quick Collect payment. You cannot send him any cash, m/o's, or checks directly. Yes, they will send it back and it will take a couple of weeks. It is considered contraband. The money will go on his books and sometimes there is a seperate address for an inmate's cantine. You will most likely need his ID or inmate number. Call the facility directly and ask what the procedures are for sending an inmate money to be sure.

    Answer by His_Mommy26 at 3:44 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

  • The easiest way to do it is through ... All you need is his name and location and inmate #. They charge less than western union and save your inmate and credit card information. I send money to my brother regularly and it only took a few minutes to set up the first time, and a minute or 2 each time I actually send money

    Answer by AnnieMcD at 3:58 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.