Are Dental work haarmful while pregnant of 18 weeks?

I am currently 18 weeks pregnant and I just current go my teeth cleaned with some filling with a shot anesthesia and several x-ray . Im so worried that I have my baby .

meldue0909

Asked by meldue0909 at 3:37 AM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• you're so worried that you have your baby? and are dental work harmful? dont you mean IS DENTAL WORK HARMFUL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:43 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• You should tell your doctor about this and see what he says. I had dental work done when i was 5 months pregnant, but they protected my belly well and only gave me local anesthetic, no gas or other meds.

Just talk to your doctor so he can fill you in better. I hope everything goes well :)
    pajamk

Answer by pajamk at 3:50 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Umm, You are NOT suppose to get xrays! Did you tell them that you were pregnant? Xrays have been shown to cause birth defects.

Dental care is very important during pregnancy though, but xrays are not!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 8:30 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Every time I have ever gone to a dentist for x-rays, whether I was pregnant or not they put a big lead apron over me so none of the x-ray could get to any baby I might be carrying. I'm sure this is standard procedure. The baby is fine. It's a good thing to have any dental work done in the first 2 trimesters, any later and it might be dangerous, but I don't think a simple filling and cleaning is any sort of problem.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 11:10 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I went to the denist to get a tooth pulled at 23 weeks I needed to get a note from my doctor telling the dentist what he can and can't use. Talk to your doctor and make sure you tell the dentist and usually they ask you on a form, but just incase they dont TELL THEM!! They can only use local anestethics and as for pain I was prescribed Tylenol #3
    suzzanna

Answer by suzzanna at 11:54 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Oh and make sure they give you a lead apon to put on.
    suzzanna

Answer by suzzanna at 11:55 PM on Apr. 24, 2009