So not fun but.....

I'm gonna cry if I can't get to sleep. I've tried everything except pills and I can't take any of them cause when I do I have a negative reaction. Doc says just stick it out and eventually my body will adjust itself but its been 2 weeks now and I can't go to sleep. I "doze" for like 2 hours a night and thats it. I've tried all the home reamedy's and nothing is freaking working. UGH. I want to freaking sleep but all I do is lay there and think..and about stupid stuff and life and the future and what I got to do the next day and what's dirty in the house and ugh.

Any ideas? Anything I haven't tried yet? I've done the warm milk , no eating 4 hours before bed, no tv or anything, meditation,prayer, sex to fall asleep, everything....what do you suggest?

lstrickland

Asked by lstrickland at 3:55 AM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Just for Fun

• If I can't fall asleep I lay down with my head at the foot of my bed, for some reason that works for me. Also, there are a number of websites that offer free nature sounds. I play those sometimes...

After two weeks though, I'm sure the major problem is every time you lie down you worry about trying to go to sleep, and making yourself go to sleep, and you have to go to sleep etc.. I've been there. Do whatever you can to stop those thoughts. Turn on the TV or nature sounds or an audiobook to distract you. Something that interests you slightly, but you've already seen or heard so that you don't get all caught up
    AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 4:34 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• try laying somewhere else..like the couch or a different room. maybe that will help. or maybe a swig of nyquil or glass of wine!
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 4:01 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I feel for you! I go through periods like this, too. As odd as it sounds, sometimes hypnosis cd's work for me. I listen to them, concentrating on what the cd says, and then I fall asleep. I don't usually wake up at the end of the cd, either, I just sleep the rest of the night.

Like I said though, this doesn't work all the time, but it does work for me sometimes.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 4:06 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• chamomille(sp) tea is a natural sedative. Also try lavender baby bath in a warm tub. It works. Have you tried ambien? there are other meds too benadryl usually works
    WAganma56

Answer by WAganma56 at 4:13 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I try to lay there and clear my head and relax by listening to myself breathe, or by turning on a fan and listening to that. I'm a thinker too, and those two things really help me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:26 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Here's a relaxation exercise that may help. Lie comfortably. Breathe in slowly and out slowly. As you breathe out, picture all of your tension collecting and being blown out with your breath. Then relax each part of your body, starting with your feet. Relax the soles of your feet. Relax your toes. Relax the top of your feet. Relax your ankles. Check that your feet are all relaxed. Relax the bottom of your legs. And work up slowly, checking that what you have already relaxed is still relaxed. Besides getting your body to relax, this makes your mind focus. If you find your mind wandering gently bring it back, and breathe slowly, breathing out the tension. Also cut out all caffeine- sodas, coffee of any kind, caf. tea, chocolate. It takes a while to clear caffeine from your system. Good luck.

Answer by Bmat at 7:21 AM on Apr. 24, 2009