Is anyone else offended by the "tea party" participants being called racist and hate mongers?

I am very offended by it. I watched the coverage of it and they were people from all walks of life, republicans, indpendents, democrats. They were peaceful and just out to make a statement that they don't like the billions of dollars being spent on bailouts and the a deficit that is growing larger each day. They have a right under the First Amendment to free speech and peaceful assembly. If we had a white president, then what would they say?? But some of the more liberal press started name calling them racists, hate mongers and many other things. How do you feel about this?

SophiaofLight

Asked by SophiaofLight at 4:31 AM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Uhhh, what do you expect?

BUT, Obama IS going to fix your credit card woes which appeals to the masses, while he not -so -stealthily introduces you to de Socialism, eh?

Libs, always majoring on the mostly unimportant..................

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 4:59 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Well, judging by the protest I drove by they were all White Middle Aged people. Probably all Christian, since they were carrying signs about how America is a "Christian Country". I wouldn't know about them being racist, but I would say that they are willfully ignorant. I make that statement because of the sign I saw SEVERAL of them carrying...

"I think, therefore I am dangerous!"

Completely explains their point of view to me. People who are bold enough to think for themselves are dangerous! I choose not to think for myself, because what other people tell me is right is good enough for me. Please America STOP THINKING!!! You'll destroy us all with your ... your ... THOUGHTS *gasp*"

Complete idiocy.
    AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 5:04 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Here's what I expect; mustbeGRACE to throw out something completely random that doesn't answer the question in any way.
    Having walked by one of these protests 2 weeks ago, I would really have to agree with AnnieMcD. I certainly didn't see people from all walks of life there.
    They may not be racist or hate mongers, but they're going to be called names if they put themselves in the spotlight. That's just how it goes. If the tables were turned and it was a liberal demonstration, they'd be called socialists (ahem, see above) or worse, communists!
    I saw signs at these tea parties saying "taxation without representation!". So, I'm going to agree that these people are just ignorant. They have representation. They're just sore that their vote was not the majority vote. Bummer. Now they know how the rest of us have felt for the last 8 years.
    CluelessCarrie

Answer by CluelessCarrie at 6:45 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Im going anon for this one.. but theres a girl in one of my debate groups who agreed with that Garofalo chick that it was solely based on racism.. Wth? And yes- she was black.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:34 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• oh and she said there werent any black people there, and the very few that were she basically implied that they were uncle toms and someone forced them to go.. SERIOUSLY! HAHA
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:35 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• It bothers me but it doesn't suprise me.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 7:41 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

Does answer the question.

I'm sorry if you missed it, Clueless.

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 7:42 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• That's just how it goes. If the tables were turned and it was a liberal demonstration, they'd be called socialists (ahem, see above) or worse, communists!

Is there any way you might be able to google the definition of  socialism, communism.

That would be refreshing, given that you think you actually KNOW something.

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 7:44 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Having walked by one of these protests 2 weeks ago, I would really have to agree with AnnieMcD. I certainly didn't see people from all walks of life there.

Considering the news coverage showed minorities at all of the major rallies (Ohio, Chicago, Washington, Atlanta) maybe the problem is you live in one of those whitewashed closet racist neighborhoods.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:47 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I didn't attend tea parties because I felt these protests were more anti obama, rather than anti taxes. Why protest now. Obama has not raised taxes.... at least not yet.. To the best of my knowledge, only increase of taxes so far as been on cigarettes.
    Protest spending? I'll refrain from answering, I rather wait a year or two to see the outcome of our spending... I believe it will be POSITIVE.
    People who protested have that right. I do not believe they are racist or hate mongers.
    However, I do feel a large portion of protests are robots of Fox news and Rush Limbaugh.
    Grandmarga

Answer by Grandmarga at 7:51 AM on Apr. 24, 2009