How do I pass a home study?

I just separated from my baby's daddy after a long time in a rea lly bad relationship. He doesn't want to do mediation, so we're facing a home study for custody because my son is only 4 months old. I woul,d love to hear from anyone who's been through a home study before to know what i'm up against. What can I expect and What can i do to help things go well?

notreally69

Asked by notreally69 at 4:35 AM on Apr. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• Pretty much all common sence things to prepare. You and your house should look like Nanny 911 has just left the premise.
    It should be clean neat well organized, stocked....diapers and freshly folded clothes and diaper lotionsf. If you are breast, let them know. However if you are using formula then make sure you have plenty of sterilized bottles and formula stocked. High chairs and other baby furniture also clean and checked for safety hazards.
    Family pets are okay, just make sure there is no pet hair or actual contact with the pet and baby. Put it outside or wherever for the interview.
    The house should also show signs of baby proofing. even though your child is still an infant, they want to see that you are prepared for your child's next stage of development. That you are planning and preparing for your childs growing list of needs.
    mellowmommy64

Answer by mellowmommy64 at 7:39 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I went through two lovely investigations with Family Services. They came to my house, walked through it. Interviewed the kids, neighbors and school as far as I know. They are not able to tell you anything about your own investigation, which I found rather funny. My best advice is to be pleasant, friendly and cooperative. Always be prepared for a surprise visit at your home and give friends and family a heads up in case they are contacted for an interview as well. I also made sure anyone that dealt with my child knew who I was and that i was a good mother. People like your sons Pediatrician , daycare workers etc....can be your best allies in this situation. Good Luck!!! I am sure you will be fin.

mellowmommy64

Answer by mellowmommy64 at 7:51 AM on Apr. 24, 2009