How do I help an infant w/ separation / divorce?

I recently separated from my baby's daddy. My son is only 4 months old, so I can't expect him to understand anything I explain to him. How do I tell if nhe's stressed and what can I do to help him transition and cope w/ going back and forth and not seeing both parents everyday.

notreally69

Asked by notreally69 at 4:42 AM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Honestly, the biggest think is that the baby will pick up on YOUR stress. You remaining calm is about all there is to be done.

I know....a tall order...but if you need to, go somewhere to vent, scream or whatever you need to do to reduce your stress level if possible.

There really isn't much else to do. At this age...it's really not going to be that much on him to go back and forth. They're pretty adaptable.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:36 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I wouldnt give this to much tought- 4 month old anyway. He is so young that as long as he is fed, dry and burped, I think he will be fine. GL.
    bristle3kids

Answer by bristle3kids at 7:26 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Try to act calm around him. Babies don't really understand what is going on, but by staying calm around him, he will stay calm about what's going on. Try to keep friendly with the father in front of the baby to help make sure the baby doesn't start to feel uncomfortable around his own father. Any bad vibes you give off your baby will pick up and react to. So around him, keep it light and friendly.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:39 AM on Apr. 24, 2009