Is it appropriate to ask if there are guns in the house when sending your child to play at the home of another child?

We don't keep them in the house, but I worry that my son may find someone else's gun. These accidents happen. Is it okay to ask another parent if they keep guns in the house just so that I know?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:13 AM on Apr. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• As a gun owner I wouldn't mind at all if someone asked me. Although I would appreciate it more if they asked how we have locked them all up or if we have!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:42 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• OF COURSE it is okay! You should be asking more then just about the guns...drugs, alcohol, so on so forth.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 6:22 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• ask away girl! i ALWAYS ask, you just never know! also, we have a gun in our home, i have it put up of course!
    Brookey

Answer by Brookey at 6:59 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• OP here - Micheledo, of course I would never ASSUME irresponsible storage of a gun :) My first question would be "do you have them" and the second would be "They're all locked up right?" Not being a gun owner myself I don't really know how they are stored. Aren't there different options? Like a trigger lock, a safety lock, and of course just locking it up in a safe?

Thanks so much for your reassurance ladies!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:39 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• You have a responsibillity to ask about guns in the home, along with storage and accessibility. Pets, too.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:44 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Rather than asking what all people have in their homes, it might be wiser to just wait until you know them well enough to know these things before allowing your child to visit there.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:41 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I wouldn't be offended at all........and I would proudly show you how inaccessible they are!
    4kidsandadog

Answer by 4kidsandadog at 8:42 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• No. It's none of your business. Teach your child gun safety and it shouldn't be an issue.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:00 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• You have every right to know what is going on in any house your child goes to. Whether or not they are playing inappropriate video games, or watching shows you don't approve of, whether there are safety measures on the computers, and most certainly if there are firearms in the house and if they are properly locked up where it is impossible for kids to get their hands on them. If someone were to ask me about our weapons, I would not be offended. Parents that are proactive do whatever it takes to protect their children and to make sure that the places they are hanging out at are safe.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:06 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I think it's your right to keep your child safe. I don't own any guns. They scare the crap out of me. But people have a right to own them. And I would just ask if they have any weapons in the house and if they are locked up or out of reach. Nothing wrong with protecting your kids. And if they are not out of reach, then the other children are at risk. Better to be safe then sorry.
    Katie911

Answer by Katie911 at 9:08 AM on Apr. 24, 2009