baby's dry skin

My daughter has dry skin on the back of her legs. It doesn't look red or irritated, and it doesn't seem to bother her. She is 3 months old. I've always heard that you don't need to bathe a little baby very often because they don't really get dirty. I've also heard that bathing them too often can lead to dry skin, so I bathe her every 3rd day. I just use the normal Johnson's baby body wash, and I put the lotion on her after her bath.
But the other day I read somewhere that if baby's skin is dry then bathing them every day helps. So, now I'm confused. Does anyone else know what works best?

CaylaLU

Asked by CaylaLU at 8:42 AM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Not sure about the bathing thing. I bathe my baby every other day. I would say, if the baby lotion doesn't help, have her doctor check it out because it could be eczema. Try using Eucerin lotion instead of the baby lotion.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 8:50 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• after the bath try some J&J baby oil to lock in her natural moisture and next time you visit your doctor ask about it.
    tonyaNmike2007

Answer by tonyaNmike2007 at 9:08 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• It is not necessary or beneficial to wash a baby every day. Babies this young only need a wipedown with a warm washcloth with a bit of baby bath added to a bowl of water. If your child has dry skin, I believe the warm water and washcloth method would be best. Consider using a fragrance free lotion for her or even a light coat of olive oil from your kitchen can be a natural and safe moisturizer for baby's skin. Put a few drops in your hand then run a bit of water in your hand then rub hands together before applying. Mineral oil is fine as well but of course if we can choose something natural, why not? I find that regular baby oil has too much fragrance and can be irritating to some babies skin. Dryness and redness can also signal irritation. Maybe the lotion has something that is bothering her. Just some things to think about. Good Luck!
    TessaBianca

Answer by TessaBianca at 9:10 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Make baths short, and skip the soap; you can use olive oil for the "crusties". Babies don't need soap, and commercial brands like Johnsons contain ingredients that can be harmful.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:15 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• use baby oil when baby first gets out of the bath. and cocoa butter once a day in dry areas to help keep the skin moisturized.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:47 AM on Apr. 24, 2009