HELP! I'm stuck with a co-sleeper.

My son never wanted to sleep in his crib. He used to scream his little head off, so of course he ended up sleeping with us. Now, he's almost 9 months old and he's crazy. How do I contain him or get him to sleep in his crib???

NickysMomma888

Asked by NickysMomma888 at 8:51 AM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You may just have to bite the bullet and start putting him in his crib. I would start with naps and then night time too. He will cry but stay strong and eachtime the crying will get less and less. This is my short answer...if you want to know details of what worked for us feel free to message me.
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 8:57 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• its gonna involve some near sleepless night for you. and lots of patience. but you'll be glad you did it in the end.
    just let him cry it out. (i knw that sucks!!!)
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 8:57 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Stop putting him in your bed. Start at nap time in his own bed. Let him cry for 10 minutes then go in pat his butt and tell him its okay. Leave the room again for 15 minutes and go back in and check on him. Do not pick him up comfort him in his crib. It took us about 3 days to break our daughter and she never slept in our bed, she slept in a play pen and hated her crib but she was 3.5 months old when I had enough. Don't give in, crying will not kill him or hurt him. He will get the hang of it and soon he will not cry at all. If you do not want him in your bed any longer than stop it now. Start with naps and put him to bed early if he is going to have to cry. If it goes on for an hour get him up for no more than 30 minutes but do not rock him to sleep or put him to sleep with you and then move him. He needs to learn to be alone in his own bed.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 8:58 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I don't have this issue becuase I insured that my son slept in his crib from the day we brought him home from the hospital me and my SO wanted to keep our bed for us. I would start out by letting him take naps in their. If he won't fall asleep in their just let him fall asleep and then lay him in his crib. Don't be negative about it not that you would be so he doesn't think he did anything wrong. If he can get the naps down in the crib then start letting him sleep in his bed at night after he falls asleep. after he gets that down then do your normal routine but let him fall asleep in his own bed. I know that my son sleeps better if he has a warm bath I put night time lotion on him and read to him and let him calm down. (My son has never went to sleep with a bottle we have always turned on Bach every night when he goes to bed it plays for about fifteen minutes and he is sleeping way before that.) I hope this has helped
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:58 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Leave him in there. Just put him down, and walk away. (*I know it's hard..I had to deal with the co-sleeping screamer too) Establish a bedtime routine. Feed him a snack (applesauce or pureed banana sort of thing) read a book to him, feed him his bottle, or breastmilk, and then put him in the crib. He might scream for an hour or so, if he screams much longer than that, go in, pick him up, hug him, change his diaper, feed him, put him BACK in the crib, and then walk away again. He will eventually drift off to sleep. You may have to deal with that for two or three nights, but soon he will only scream for a minute or so before he falls asleep. This has worked successfully for me, my son usually only cries for a minute, maybe five if he had a late nap, before he passes out. We've almost gotten rid of the bottle now (he's 19 mos..)

Good luck! I hope that helps.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 8:58 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Lots of people are going to respond and say that your baby's right where he belongs. But remember that co-sleeping is only good if the parents are on board, too. We did not want to cosleep, we really didn't sleep well or feel comfortable... finally around 6 weeks we figured out the right kind of swaddling that helped our daughter sleep on her own and we all slept better. But at 9 months I can't offer much advice. I know it's possible, but I'm not sure on the details. Hopefully someone else in your situation has had some success. Lots of women recommend the No Cry Sleep Solution for this transition... Some women say the only thing that worked was crying it out. But just remember, this is your decision... Good luck.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:59 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• You are going to have to take it one night at a time. You can start by putting him in his crib awake but sleepy. turn his night light on and maybe something for noise if he needs it. then tuck him in give him a kiss and tell him night night. cover him up and leave the room. let him cry for a little while. you know nothing is wrong with him he is fine. you let him cry a little longer each night until eventually he is going to sleep on his own in his bed. now my son didn't want to sleep in his crib either and ended up in my bed. but we cut it out after his 1st birthday. i thought my daughter didn't want to be in one either but she wanted to sleep on her stomach. which i didn't like but she was fine. she was actually turning herself over at 2 months old. so i couldn't control it anymore. good luck
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:00 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Please read the no cry sleep solution by Elizabeth Pantley
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 9:13 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• After breastfeeding, my boys both slept in a playpen next to my bed. Eventually, we moved them to their own room. We sort of drew the process out over a week so it was not so bad for the kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Take your shirt off after you've worn it all day and lay it in the crib. Babies get used to our scent so having your scent next to him may help and soothe him. Try one of the night light lullaby crib attachments. I bought one and put it on my son's crib. He loves music and the soft light at night made him sleepy all on his own. Also give your lilman a bath with lavendar baby oil, give him a big meal before bed and try those things together. Maybe it takes a few days for him to adjust but he can't think that he can interrupt Mommy and Daddy and sleep with you.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 9:25 AM on Apr. 24, 2009