What would you do if a substitute bus driver grabbed a hold of your 10 yrs old child?

My son comes home and tells me that the bus driver just grabbed a hold of him. My son says I was being loud mom but why did he have to grab me and drag me to another seat. I find out that the driver gave him no warning, just stop the bus, grabbed him and the kids asked what he did and he looked at another child and said "your next". I call the transportation office and the vice principal. The transportation guy is an ass( I used to work for him) he views the tape on the bus and says that the driver was within his rights to grab my son. Then I speak to the vice principal who has only been here for 2 years and he says that he believes the transportation supervisor and feels that he doesnt need to view the tape. He said he heard that the driver had a good reputation and and was told that he grabbed his shirt gently. They wont even let me view the tape. They told me I had to have consent from all parents of kids riding the bus

burnic43

Asked by burnic43 at 8:58 AM on Apr. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• I would file a police report. He never has the right to touch your child unless they are hurting another child or its a medical issue. I would get the police involved so they can see the tape and then file charges on him. That is my advice. You can also file on the transportation office ass hole as well. If he is allowing this to happen then how many kids are scared by it and keeping their mouth shut?
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 9:01 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• NO TOUCHING!!!! no touching. no touching.
    i dont know what u can do, but no one should have their hands on your child.
    mama_moonsong

Answer by mama_moonsong at 9:02 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I understand your feelings but try to picture this you are in a room full of loud, crazy, running, screaming out of control kids and you try to quiet them down as much as you can but no one is listening so the only thing to do is try to catch ones attention and go from there by that time you have no time to be gentle. As long as he did not leave any type of mark on your child the driver had to do what he had to do to help himself to stay sane. I am not sided with him bc I don't know how rough he was but turn the tables around. I hope your son is ok. Until you hear any different then make action, otherwise just tell your child to behaive. GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:03 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I would call the police as well. Sorry that happened to your son.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:04 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Go to the school board. If it were me, I would request to view the tape again. If your son said he was being loud and he was abruptly moved physically by the bus driver I would want to see the entire thing on video.

I would also tell the bus driver that he has no business putting his hands on my child. Something that would tip me off to something being up is the other kids even asking what your son did. If you have a group of kids then you have a group of different personalities and different views of rationalizing as well. For the kids to all ask "What did he do?" then that tells me the kids felt it was wrong. For a kid to tell you they thought it was excessive that means something. Your son didn't seem upset that he got in trouble but in the way he got in trouble offended him.

I would look into it some more. And if the transportation guy is an ass then I would bring that up to the school board too.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 9:08 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• i would file a report whats that rule keep your hands to yourself dosent that appy to adults to ( unless your kids ) also i would tell who ever let me see the tape or we go to court and then my lawer will see them. and i dont care if the bus driver is great or not dont touch my kid warn him or write him up. simple. i understand bus load of screaming kids would kill me i couldnt do it and give them credit but no touching threatning in your face, warning write up worse case thrown off the bus. im sorry mama it wasent right.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 9:09 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• This is unacceptable. I agree with lilbit,  call the School board and make a complaint. Had it been "gentle" it would not have bothered your son. I feel that no adult in the school system should be allowed to touch your child unless he/she is going to hurt herself or another child. Don't let this drop, what he did was wrong!

Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 9:23 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Call the police. They can get access to the tape and view it themselves. Then they will tell you if it is worth it to purse it or not.
    Emmy_Dollface

Answer by Emmy_Dollface at 9:45 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• pursue*
    Emmy_Dollface

• I would go to the bus driver and talk to him directly. I would tell him to not touch my son again if he needs him to move to another seat then if he is going to get up anyway to just walk back there and tell the kid or kids to move. I would not want someone grabbing my son either, but that being said, have you seen what goes on on school buses? It looks like a mad house in there and all the inmates are going crazy!! I am sympathetic somewhat to school bus drivers, I know that they chose that job but they do have to deal with a lot of kids and lots of kids are little buttholes. I would definitely be as upset as you are but I would just go talk to the driver. Good luck.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 10:14 AM on Apr. 24, 2009