What's the best way to get rid of cockroaches FOREVER?!?!

Disgusting yes I know. But my SO recently loss his job and our lease was up in our apartment. We couldn't afford to live there anymore so we rented a cheaper place. When we saw the apartment we liked it and it LOOKED clean so we signed a lease for 6 months. We have only been in for about 2 weeks, and already I have seen or rather killed a total of 5 my SO has killed maybe about the same. This utterly disgust me, I have NEVER in life lived with these disgusting things. We have a 4 month old and I do not want our baby to be living under these conditions. We are pretty much under contract and we don't want to mess up our renter’s history in leaving, plus we really can't afford anything else right now. SO PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Roach proof. It is borack acid. it dries them up from the inside plus they carry it to the rest of the "hive" so they all die. You can buy it at the feed store
    lovemybaby283

Answer by lovemybaby283 at 9:10 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• You need to tell the landlord that you were unaware that the apartment had roaches. And demand that he exterminate ASAP and frequently. Otherwise, move out. Beware, though, because they can travel with you! Ewwww...gross! good luck.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 9:11 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Who cares if you are under contract. That is cause to break a lease sorry. Get the hell out.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Well they survived nuclear bombings. The little bastards never die. I would get out and have all your stuff sprayed before you take into a new house. They will hitchhike and you'll be starting over again. Good luck!
    Katie911

Answer by Katie911 at 9:12 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• try a bugbomb, or something like that. Then make sure you have no open food containers, no food in paper bags or boxes. Clean everything thouroughly, check in corners, behind fridge, stove, etc.

It's no guarentee, but they like those cold dark places.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 9:16 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I don't know about forever bc sometimes those things just keep on coming back.
    It has alot to do with where you live if you live in an apartment well there's your problem that means someone else is dealing with the same problem. so when you treat your place all them things go to the next rooms or vise versa, they never actually go away they just move to safety until it is safe again to raid the house. This applies to neighborhoods as well. It's like we have to put all our heads together and do the killing ourselves at the same time...my guess is. Just keep trying to control them the best way you can. Yuck they are so disgusted...GL
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 9:24 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I hate those little buggers. I am the most OCD clean person I know and even we have these monsters. When we bought this house it looked clean and I inspected everything! No signs of bugs. When we moved in they showed their ugly little faces. keep your milk jug lids. Then mix an equal portion of Borax (can be found in the laundry aisle at the store) and sugar. Put some in half of the milk lids. Fill the other milk lids with water. Put them where you see the roaches the most (and out of reach of babies!). This will help to control them. But as you are living in an apartment, someone around you has them too. Also, call your landlord. He is under a legal duty to maintain a healthy living environment and roaches are not (called the implied warranty of habitability). He will have to call an exterminator. If he doesn't you DO have cause to break your lease... but put it all in WRITING as your proof.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Notify your landlord that there are cockroaches in your apartment. These pests will allow you to break your lease. It is unhealthy to live in an apartment with them.

I have found the Combat discs work.

Make sure you keep the garbage taken out and make sure they have no access to water of any kind. They can live without food for months, but can only live without water for a few days.
    garfanatic

Answer by garfanatic at 2:43 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I forgot to tell you to make sure no one or no animals injest it if they do give them water quickly. Now you don't need a lot just a small line behind objects like the tv or couch ect. don't get it wet b/c it wont work. after about 5-7 days they will all die.and who knows you might clear the whole apt building. When I lived in a dueplex our neighbors had them so we just lined that wall and a few other places and not only did we kill ours but theirs died too. gl
    lovemybaby283

Answer by lovemybaby283 at 3:04 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• OK I had the same problem tell your landlord he/she has to pay for an exterminator they will come 3 times to do a total clean out you'll have to take everything out and leave for three hours but in the end its worth it, if you have the the problem I have neighbors that have them really bad and live nastily and they come from there so we get treated monthly where they spray the baseboards and set out bait

aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 9:00 PM on Apr. 24, 2009