how can i get him to understand no biteing?? :(

my son will be 8 months in a matter of days here. and hes got 2 teeth. hes teething very hard, and i try to help him as much as i can. but when it comes to feeding him, sinse i breast feed him, he just will not stop biteing me! i have tried the oww! or the oww, and i cry to make him know it hurts. i have unlatched him and put him down.*somtimes for 10 mins even* i tell him no bite and tap his cheek, i even did what his peed said and flicked his cheek, got him to cry, said no and cried myself. he just will not get it. and i dont want to give up. but now when i feed him, i actually get scared. cuz i know hes going to bite me. and its not once. its thru the whole process. someone help me please! oh and to add. he loves the taste of lansinoh nipple lanolin. so its like pollen to a bee.. he just attacks me. my poor girls are so sore.

please someone help me, i love that bond with my son.. and im not rdy to lose it yet

chris-s-wife

Asked by chris-s-wife at 9:18 AM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh, I am so sorry you're going through this. I didn't know he bit your when you nursed him. Ouch! That makes me hurt thinking about it. I thought he was just biting to bite since he has teeth and I thought bite him back...that's what I did with my son but I wasn't nursing then.

You're doing just what I would suggest you do. But maybe if you pop his butt on the pamper it may "get his attention" I don't know. I feel bad since I have no advice...Geez. I sure hope someone here can help. I'm sorry, feel better soon.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 9:22 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• this may sound mean but trust me it so works. it worked on me and my son. i would bite him back. not hard that it leaves teeth marks but hard enough to show him that it hurt mommy as much as it hurt you. babies have sensitive skin so it won't take much. please don't bash me for this. i just found something that worked. and no i do not abuse my kids it's just that telling him no and oww did not work for me. when i saw my son coming towards me with his white fangs showing i would say aaaaaa no no. and he knew then what would come if he bit me. it's just advice you can take it or leave it. good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• eek!!! i know its the "natural" way and im probably gonna get my ass chewed for this but once there is biting i would stop breastfeeding; pump and feed him through the bottle its not worth the pain in my opinion he could seriously bite your nipple off!!! ive heard horror stories, dont know if they are true but ive heard of it happening!
    Breezy1988

Answer by Breezy1988 at 9:25 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I had a friend who continued to feed her son even though he was drawing blood. It's hard to wean when you're not ready. My DD is bitting me occasionally but we've been able to work with it. You are on the right track with putting him down when he bites, be consistant with that. Also when he bites give him a firm no, this makes my DD cry. Her big old pout lip comes out and she let's out a wail. Maybe if DS bites tell him no, if he does it again put him down and give him a bottle. I know that's not what you want to do. I'm not saying that you should stop bfing him, but try that process always offering him your breast and if he bites let him learn that he won't get it if he bites. He will hopefully catch on.
    Good luck!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 9:49 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• just put some teething gel in his mouth and go.. you cant stop him from it hez only 8m old.. get some toys, wet wash cloth..
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 10:14 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• My dd is same age and does same thing. We have both cried A LOT. What I do is make sure u are in a dark quiet room if there's too much going on she gets distracted and will bite more. As soon as she bites I pull her off and stick a binki in her mouth. As soon as she gets into the sucking I pull it out and offer her the breast. Sometimes it takes a couple times but she usually gets the idea.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:28 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Go join the Breastfeeding Moms group and read the sticky "When Babies Attack".

Also, when he bites you, the feeding is over. Period. Put him down and walk away. 10 minutes should be the minimum amount of time that you stop a feeding for(not saying to let him cry alone for 10 minutes, but no nursing). If he's actually hungry, he wont bite. If my 6 month old bites me, we stop nursing. I tell her "Owie, no biting mommy, it hurts her". Then I distract her with toys and it usually takes her an hour to get hungry to the point where she'll nurse and not bite.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 11:51 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• i didn't breast feed i was too afraid to but my son is 15 months old and he likes to bite too i've tried as much as i could to get him to stop but nothing worked for me either till i tried a teether he now bites that instead of me or anyone for that matter. i heard if you bite them back to show them how bad it hurts they will understand but i couldn't bring myself to do that it would hurt me to hurt him.
    cage0101

Answer by cage0101 at 11:54 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Push his face/nose into your body when he bites. He will think he has to let go to breath. Then set him on the floor and put his food away. He'll realize that isn't pleasant for him and he will stop. Babies do NOT understand being bitten back. Please do NOT listen to that advice. That is awful!
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 12:26 PM on Apr. 24, 2009