How do you get you child to eat their lunch at school?

My 5 year old, kindergartener has been refusing to eat his lunch. Whether I pack or he buy school lunch, he does not eat much. The other day he had an apple out of everything I packed. Yesterday, he ate his pudding, that's it! I try to pack what he would normally eat at home, such as a PB sandwich, pudding or Jello, a cut up apple with PB or some kind of fruit, fruit roll up and juice box. He says the kids in lunch "gross him out" with what they are eating. I try to tell him, don't worry about anyone else, just eat your lunch! I worry about him! Anyone else having this problem?

mamaada

Asked by mamaada at 9:19 AM on Apr. 24, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• my nephew went through the same thing.. he got grossed out by the other kids & the smell of the lunchroom, he eventually grew out of it ( i guess he got used to it)... but i think it was 1st grade b4 he started eating all his lunch
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 9:24 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Hehe, my son does the same thing. Not that his lunch grosses him out, but he is just to busy talking and playing during lunch instead of eating. When he comes home he tells me he is hungry and I tell him to finish his lunch. Very rare that he will at school. They will grow out of this phase I'm sure.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:22 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Mine did that till last year and he is 13. Keep in mind, that usually, they only have 20 minutes to eat at most schools and they are so busy talking and other kids are being gross. It will pass.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:11 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Let your son help plan lunches, pick foods, and pack lunches; he will be much more likely to eat it. I have a great list of packable lunch suggestions; feel free to contact me for a copy.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:36 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• My oldest does that. She just doesn't eat much during the day. She can actually go all day just eating breakfast and never complain. She's been like that since she was a toddler.
    But, you can't make them eat and you can't control what he does while he is at school. He has to learn to eat or realize he will be hungry all day. He'll figure it out. Just keep packing things he likes.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:34 PM on Apr. 24, 2009