how do you co sleep correctly?

After reading questions that post " If co sleeping is done correctly..." I'm afraid now that I'm not doing something right. DS sleeps next to me (only the two of us in the bed) with no pillows or blankets. I sleep with one pillow and a small light blanket. Is there anything else I need to know? Thanks in advance to all who answer. Also I love co sleeping so no bashing please!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've co-slept with all of my childre until they were ready to move. I've considered when it gets beyond 'cute' and I still have no problems with it. We've been co-sleeping for 10 years with 6 different kids. No regrets. As far as safe cosleeping:

Parents should not sleep with their babies if they are smokers or have ingested alcohol or drugs.
    Bedding should be tight fitting to the mattress.
    The mattress should be tight fitting to the headboard of the bed.
    There should not be any loose pillows or soft blankets near the baby's face.
    There should not be any space between the bed and adjoining wall where the baby could roll and become trapped.
    The baby should not be placed on his stomach.
    Some sources also say not to put a baby on a waterbed to sleep.

On not listed, baby should sleep by mom and not between mom and dad when they are small because dads(and siblings, etc.) don't have the same instincts.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 9:42 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• It is adorable in the beginning and then it won't be so cute when he gets older. I'm not sure how old your lilman is but I would bring my son to bed with me if he was sick and only then. Other than that he went back to his crib. I'm not bashing...but I think that's something to consider when you do this. How long do you intend on letting him sleep with you?
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 9:28 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• OP-He's 6 months. I plan on co sleeping until he's ready to sleep on his own. He started in his own crib but neither one of us were sleeping very well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:31 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Thank you!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:56 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Exactly what the above said...I couldn't have said it better myself. And don't listen to the first poster. I slept with mine till he was 11. He is very independent and fine. He can sleep on his own and has even gone to summer camp for a week and never missed me. So, no harm will come if you do it till he's ready. Co-sleeping is a great experience and actually does the opposite of what most people think. As long as you know he is independent. I have seen some kids that refuse to spend the night out of momma's bed and even if they have kids spend the night, they will snesk back to moms bed. My son wasn't like that, so, I am fine with him co-sleeping even now at 13 if he still would...just cause I know he doesn't depend on me only.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:07 AM on Apr. 24, 2009