Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my poor cat

Last evening we were at a function at my dd's school and came home to our cat (15 months old) throwing up food then noticed something hanging out of his mouth. It was a shoestring. My dh pulled some out and found that after a bit it was not coming out easily so he cut it off, he swollowed the rest and we rushed him into the emergency vet clinic. It will cost 2,000 by the time we are finished as it doesn't pass there will. We can't afford that cost so we will have to put him to sleep. They gave him electrolytes, and liquids and that cost us $150. He is such a good kitty and we are feeling pretty bad. He seems fine and has been even playful this morning and hasn't thrown up yet but sure did last night. Has anyone had any or heard of any animal passing something like this?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Pets

Answers (8)
  • oh man... why must cats do these things?
    i had a puppy with a similar issue once, and she passed it, but i dont know how it'll go with a kitty.
    i will keep you and yours in my prayers, though. pets are family, its so hard when there's something wrong with them.

    Answer by mama_moonsong at 9:28 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

  • yess my moms cat eats shoe strings alll the time he even eats yarn and a bunch af stuff andd he passes it after a few days...

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

  • I hope it passes ok. My cats has passed smaller bits of string before. The problem with string is that it gets all tangled up in their intestines and can perforate them. It stinks that cats eat string, but they do and will. Most people don't think twice about leaving string around because their cats like to play with them. I really really hope your kitty can pass it without problems, poor baby.

    Answer by slw123 at 9:32 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

  • Oh I am soooo sorry!! Maybe it will pass. I will cross my fingers. One of my cats is a big string fiend! We really have to watch what is on the floor. Twice now I have come home to find him walking around with floss, or (gag) a bologna rind hangin' from his butt!!! Both times I chased him down and gently pulled it out ( the things we do for our pets:)) So since then we bought a trash can with a lid, cuz he was trash diving apparently. We make sure to throw floss away rolled up in some tissue, and watch for other stuff too. I hope he gets better. :(

    Answer by GMR at 1:10 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

  • sometimes they pass it, other times it can kill. This goes for both dogs & cats. What happens is, the string can tighten the intestine together as it is trying to pass. It can litterally tie the intestines up in knots. Most of the times, animals can pass it. But sometimes, they cannot. You can wait & see. Check his stool often...he just may be able to pass it ok. If his intestines are getting knotted, you will be able to tell. He will not be playing around like a happy lil kitty.

    Answer by samurai_chica at 4:15 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

  • also, vets really raccoment NOT to pull the string out of the other end, as this can also tie the intestines in knots. Let it come out on its own....seriously....Think about ow loopy those intestines are......don't pull the string....

    Answer by samurai_chica at 4:16 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

  • I hope you all that answered my post and whoever can learn from this. We took our kitty in and he had surgery. It was a good thing as it had already perforated the lower intestine and the vet said he most likely would have died because it was also wadded up past the stomach and he patched him up and we are waiting to see if he will have any complications. $750 later but we have a live kitty that we love so.... We have had many many pets and have never had an accident so guess we learned something and he is still with us. He is a chewer so hope he will grow out of that, or maybe he won't. We are such careful pet owners and I just don't know how the lace got out and around him in the first place but we are now so.... very conscious of everything that could be hazardous.

    Answer by cat4458 at 1:31 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

  • Thank you for your responses, too!!

    Answer by cat4458 at 1:32 PM on Apr. 26, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.