What would you do?

My hubby knows this girl, and she attended a family reunion, and needed a ride to meet her fiance. So we gave her and her one year old a ride since we were headed that way. Her one year old was in a baby carrier. At first, she didnt have her in it, until I said something, so she strapped her in. Then when we met her fiance at a gas station, I saw him just set the baby carrier on the seat, forward facing. I thought for sure that she would get back there and correctly install it. but nope, she just kinda moved it to the middle of the seat, not strapped in, and forward facing. What would you do? Should I call someone?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Apr. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• Its a little to late now but you should have called the police so they could pull them over. If she is in an infant seat then it should be rear facing not forward facing. If its a convertible seat the child is old enough to go forward facing but must be properly secure in the seat and the seat must be secure the the seat in the car. It is against the law in all states to not have a child properly restrained.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 10:08 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• yes the po po.. i would have spoke up in a joken manner and just rolld with it.. you know they have to do this all the time.. use what you got mama.. Make the CALL!!!
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 10:08 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• You can always try to call cps and have an investigation started as well. The child is probably over the weight and height limits on the infant seat as well. I believe is usually around 22 to 25 pounds and like 27 to 30 inches.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 10:09 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I would call someone if it was me. Not to get them in trouble but for the safety of the child. How would they feel if they got in an accident and that baby didn't survive? And if something happened and you didn't say anything how would you feel?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Evrey infant car seat is different as far as height and weight goes too. We had a Graco Infant Safeseat and it fits 90% of 1 years olds. It has a higher weight and height limit for it than other infant carriers like it. But I agree with anon 8:10. And it does have to be properly installed in the car too.
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 10:14 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• These kind of people just drive me crazy!! Some people are just really really STUPID!! And what about when you are driving along and you see someone with a little kid IN THEIR LAP!!! My husband and I make it a point to stare and point at them. I think I would have told that lady "don't forget to strap the car seat in" and then just stand there looking at them. Maybe you could say, "you don't want dead baby all over the highway do ya?" Sounds harsh but people like that need to be made fools of in my opinion.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 10:26 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I would have written down the plate number and called the cops.
    EarthMama05

Answer by EarthMama05 at 10:32 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• If it was me I would have offered to strap it on by saying, "Do you need help buckling the seat in? I wouldn't want you guys to get pulled over or the baby to get hurt, God forbid something happens." But that does send up some red flags, like what other safety precautions are they being ignorant about?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:51 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I would have gotten the make and model of the car, the license plate number, their names and called the police. The police can't do anything unless caught in the act, so that's why the plate number.

I would also call CPS.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:57 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I am a freak when it comes to carseats. I would have said something right then. I would have strapped it in and shown them how to do it. I never would have let them out of my site until the seat was properly strapped in.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:58 AM on Apr. 24, 2009