Is anyone dealing with a reactive atttachment disorder child?

shanndarr

Asked by shanndarr at 5:48 PM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Adoption

• I was a foster parent to a RAD child. It was a huge problem. We were talking about adopting him, but the RAD and other issues cause so many problems that we wouldn't have had much of a marriage if we did. I have a lot of experience with RAD, so if yo want to pick my brain, just ask.
    JulieDH

Answer by JulieDH at 11:01 AM on Jul. 11, 2008

• I adopted a daughter from another country and she had all the systems and behaviors of RAD initially. She was 1 1/2 years old when adopted and is now 8. She still has some trust and attachment issues, but generally she is very, very much improved and a wonderful charmer. She's just a bit challenging in that she does like to feel in control.
    Maybe I could write more later, but I have to go.

Stacy (http://spectrumkids.blogspot.com)
    stacy772

Answer by stacy772 at 7:29 PM on Jul. 23, 2008

• Yes, yes, yes! I have a RAD child and it is horrible!!!! We adopted her when she was 12 and is now 17. She is a master manipulator, has said she is going to kill me (currently in psych unit for the threat), has hit people in the home and now CYS is telling us if we don't pick her up from the hospital, they are going to charge us w/abandonment. The psychiatrist, social worker, therapist, all agree it is not safe for her to return home as there are 8 other kids in the home and they are afraid she will do something to someone, especially me - Mom yet they tell us we are her parents and need to come and get her. Does anyone else out there have experience with this????? I truly fear for mine and my kids lives.
    awesomemom66

Answer by awesomemom66 at 12:49 AM on Jan. 16, 2010