"off-beat" weddings

Have any of you changed the "traditional" wedding ceremony to fit your personality or to make it less "formal"? If so, what are some changes or adjustments you made to your wedding? Did you have a reception? Was it formal and "traditional" or was is funky and personalized? What are some of the fun ideas you have seen at other weddings?

Tzutchka

Asked by Tzutchka at 11:09 AM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I went to an outside wedding that my son was in. All the groomsmen had mohawks dyed different colors, there was a pirate greeting people at the entrance, a guy in a chicken suit sat on the front row, the bride wore black and white, she carried black roses, and the proccessional was the song from Tim Burton's "Corpse Bride". It began to rain and all of those mohawks drooped. the 2 "deputies" arrested the new couple and carried them away in a police car only for them to reappear at the reception where the bad played in-front of the mosh pit (mach pit ...?) It was really different. I live in a more conservative part of the country and it was the talk of the town.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 11:35 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I saw a "movie" themed reception. It was still very formal..but it had a big popcorn machine and was lots of fun. The bride and groom did a choreographed dance..they are in theatre together. It was very good.
    One a couple got married on the beach. When they got home they had a reception. had brought back sand and shells to put on mirrors on the table. Everyone wore lays and they entered thru tiki tourches to the song kokomo..so cute!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:12 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• When we got married it was small, had it outdoors in our Capitol City at the Govenors Mansion in the Gardens, it was free and beautiful, then after we had a small dinner at our local winery and then a party at our house, kids got to swim and everyone got to change and be comfortable.. It was a blast and soooo cheap!
    4x4mum

Answer by 4x4mum at 11:14 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I'm a wedding musician, so I have seen it all. I've seen "Uhura" marry "Captain Kirk". I've seen a traditional "Betazoid" wedding, complete with complete nudity. I've seen a bridal bouquet made from carefully sculpted beer cans. I've seen "Robin Hood" take "Maid Marian" as his lawfully wedded wife while "Friar Tuck" presided. My own wedding was held in a teeny-tiny Mexican restaurant owned by a family friend, the ceremony was performed by a Justice of the Peace in front of eleven family members and we had our "reception dinner" there, then came back here for cake and champagne. Very un-traditional, completely unformal and quite nice really.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 11:15 AM on Apr. 24, 2009