These red bumps are starting to appear over my 1 y/o's body and they aren't regular red heat bumps. He doesn't act like they itch or hurt but they keep coming and they're kinda big. Should I be worried?

They are on his back, arms, and they are starting to come on his legs slowly but surely. Of course I'm going to call his pedi but I want to hear what you all think.

His_Mommy26

Asked by His_Mommy26 at 11:14 AM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds like hives to me. He might be having an allergic reaction to something he ate or something on his skin. You can give him Benedryl and they should go away. Ask the DR how much, since he's still so little.
    obviously, watch him for an other signs and symptoms....but sometimes you never know where it came from. My son gets them when his skin gets really COLD..LOL!
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 11:21 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• has he ran a fever at all in the past few days?
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 11:28 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Did he recently get his chicken pox or MMR vaccination? It could be chicken pox or measles. Yes the vaccines can cause the disease for those ones since they are live viruses. Definitely call the doc.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:19 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Yes!!! I keep thinking about that. He was vaccinated on 4/10 and one of them I know was for the chickenpox.
    His_Mommy26

Answer by His_Mommy26 at 12:37 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I called his pedi but they have no clinic today because they're all in a meeting until 4 (then in which they close for the day). I was given an after hours number too. He has no fever or anything else like vomiting or diarrhea but I am concerned.
    His_Mommy26

Answer by His_Mommy26 at 12:41 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• My son just broke out in hives yesterday and it sounds similar. Most didn't bother him but some got itchy. In some areas they look like bug bites in others they've joined together and look a bit like a beehive pattern (probably isn't a coincidence). Benedryl is what my dr told me to give him. 1/2 tsp is what we were told to give my son when he was about 1 and got stung by a bee. Think back over what you've given him that might be new as it could be the trigger.
    Anonymous

• It can be from the MMR vaccine. I think I remember reading about 14 days after the vaccine, a rash may appear. We are 14 days away today, so it is probably from that. I think our sheet said it would be on his trunk, which sounds like his is. Wait to hear back from the doctor, but it is probably ok. Benedryl can help if it gets itchy.
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 1:30 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I've been really trying to think of something new that I've given him but it's hard for me to remember if the bumps were there before or after I had given it to him. But your answers are definitely giving me some peace of mind until I at least speak to his pedi.
    His_Mommy26

Answer by His_Mommy26 at 1:48 PM on Apr. 24, 2009