• In the Spotlight:

how old was your baby when they starting grasping toys?

my son will be 3 months old and isnt grasping toys yet. he is very attentive though. follows the toy side to side and up and down. he has a kick and play gym and can kick alllll day, but rarely uses his arms. i already started him in his exersaucer which he loves. most of his motor skills seem to be ahead or right on pace, but im beginning to worry that he is not trying to grab toys yet. when i burp him he grabs onto my shirt and when he sleeps he grabs his blanket, any ideas to get him to grab onto rattles and such?

walkthisway522

Asked by walkthisway522 at 11:20 AM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my son was almost 4 months when he started graspin things! I wouldn't worry, if he's grabbing your shirt in blanket, he's right on traget, be patience it will happen! my son just started to hold his bottle n he's almost 5 months, he still have trouble but we're workin on it!!! GL & GOD BLESS
    rebel07

Answer by rebel07 at 11:24 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• With my twins I believe it was between 3 and 4 months, and it was not that frequent at first. I know by their first Christmas (just over 4 months) they were getting pretty good at it. I really can't remember when it started with my 12 year old - that was long time ago!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:25 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Yeah, mine was about three or four months. Now he's grabbing everything!!!
    Dayija

Answer by Dayija at 11:28 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• rebel07 - holding the bottle at 5 months is GREAT! My twins didn't start doing it until almost one year when I was getting ready to wean them from it anyway. I know they were capable, so maybe they were just testing me!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:33 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• 3months or so, but I also would put toys in her hands when I noticed her holding on tight to my fingers. This might have gotten her used to the idea that she can have stuff in her hands. She definately wasnt good at it at 3months and even now I have watched go after a paci for 5mins and still not get it into her hand
    HunnysFarAway

Answer by HunnysFarAway at 12:47 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• around 3 months old. He didnt have very good control and kept smacking his face or head, so soft toys only lol poor guy
    YoungandExcited

Answer by YoungandExcited at 12:54 PM on Apr. 24, 2009