Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

child support question.....

Me and my husband are having problems with his x girlfriend and child support, the original deal was to pay $300.00 a month and we buy pretty much all of their clothes and stuff for school. She is a native american so in the state of WI they get percapita of like somewhere around 1200.00 a month- she has no job and neither does her boyfriend so they went in and applied for foodstamps and court ordered child support. If me and my husband had to off of our "gross" income we would have to pay the 23% for two kids which would be 1,035.00 a MONTH! Is their anyway to fight this so my husband don't quit his job?????? If we had to pay this much a month we wouldn't be able to live! our monthly bills equal out to 2100.00 a month and we are barely making it now, we live in a trailer and I have had to go to the food pantry the last couple months to feed our 2 children- I'M STUMPED

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Apr. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

Answers (8)
  • all i can suggest is to try to move out, even into low income housing or something like that, and get custody of the other child/children and make THEM pay child support. if they dont have jobs, they arent really parenting correctly. what if they loose their assistance? then what? the kids wont be able to be taken care of. thats all i can think of. other than that, try and get a free consultation from a lawyer. good luck momma =]

    Answer by mommykayti at 11:50 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

  • No matter what she recieves in tribal money or other benefits it no way detracts from what your husband owes in child support. He needs to support that child to the standard the state has set which is 17% of his income for one child. I live in wisconsin, too and if he quits his job and just doesn't work she can take him back to court and have the judge order him to get a job, then if he doesn't he will be in contempt and can be put in jail.

    Answer by MommyAddie at 11:51 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

  • just to be honest! The child support system is awful. I was meant to make people support their kids but all it creates is bitterness and isolation for the children. You can filled a review but the child support system uses a formula and everyone regardless of the backstory gets the same formula. Talk to a lawyer but it is a waste of money and time.

    Answer by nutmegmom at 12:28 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

  • I live in Wisconsin and for 1 child support is 17%. If your husband quits his job and doesn't pay support, he can have a lein put on his house and car. His DL suspended, any hunting or fishing licesnses susupended and he could be jailed. He needs to pay his support of his children, if anything he can go to court for custody of his children. I am very well with the child support system in Wisconsin due to experience and friends that work for Child Support.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:45 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

  • They are basing the child support off his income. Sounds like you need to cut expenses. If he quits his job to avoid paying this he is a giganitc jerk.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

  • It's HIS income they'll consider, not yours included.

    Talk to a lawyer.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:35 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

  • Her income is taken into consideration as well. Try using one of the online child support calculators. None of the ones I used came out to be $1035. This is an example of one I used.

    Answer by admckenzie at 1:44 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

  • some people might think my husband is a jerk if he were to quit his job and some say cut back our expenses these are expenses i can't cut back, our rent is $900.00 alone and we have kids so we need food, electricity and gas phone- vehicle- in WI your not required to have vehicle insurance but here your required to have FULL coverage ----------i'm not trying to get "out" of paying support- i i don't think its fair to completly support her and her family and have our family sink in the ground because of it..... I am also from WI so i kinda know what happens- I am just trying to figure out a way that is FAIR for both of the families!

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:58 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.