F*&%ing CATS!!!!

I just planted my garden - mostly seeds. Well, APPARENTLY my new garden bed is now the neighborhood kitty box. They are kicking up all my seeds and I am afraid nothing will grow...

How do I keep cats out of my garden?

CarolynBarnett

Asked by CarolynBarnett at 11:41 AM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Home & Garden

• I've had problems in my garden with squirrels, deer rabbits, birds, raccons, and even dogs, but this is the first time I'v heard of a cat problem!!! Are the cats strays or neibors pets? If strays I would put out traps and haul them elsewhere, if they're pets try planting somthing that smells kind of unpleasent, marigolds work great to keep away rabbits, maybe it'll help with Kitties. Good luck!!!
    Tarabella

Answer by Tarabella at 11:50 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• call SPCA. If nothing else, the neighbors will realize how UNHAPPY you are with their cats, and will keep them in better check, or risk loosing them.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:30 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• you know what stray cats have used as a litter box here? my kids sandbox. glad it has a lid. keeps em out. maybe if its small put a small wire fence around it. then see if you cant put some kind of mesh screen across the top. if they jump on it more than likely it will collapse but maybe they wont try. just an idea.
    BubbysMom208

Answer by BubbysMom208 at 12:45 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I'm sorry Carlolyn, I found myself yelling the same this morning. We have male strays everywhere and they spray my car tires every morning. Some garden centers and seed catalog companies sell a small plastic device called The stickler I believe. Check with Burpee.com or ParkSeeds. They are small little squares of plastic that have sharp pokey things sticking upwards and you place them all around your garden just under the dirt. You get like 100 for 12.95, and when the cats get into your garden their paws get poked by the sticklers. Lemon and Orange peel works too.

http://www.gardeners.com/Dogs-and-Cats/YardPests_DogsCats,default,sc.html

Anonymous

• I would use this item called the ScareCrow. It hooks up to your garden hose and has a motion detector. If it senses motion, it sprays out water. Scares the cats and waters your garden at the same time.

http://www.contech-inc.com/Products/Scarecrow/
    garfanatic

Answer by garfanatic at 2:38 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I have used ceyanne pepper. Spinkle it all the way arround your garden. When the cats come to sniff for a place to poo the pepper powder gets stirred up. They don't like it. Also it is innconspicuous.
    etsmom

Answer by etsmom at 6:57 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• moth balls
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 8:56 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Chocolate ExLax! Honest to goodness! It isn't the end-all-be-all but it gets the point across for a while until you get something else set up! Where we live there are a lot of feral cats. I don't want them completely gone because they keep the rodent population down but I could do without them using my garden bed as their litter box.

Anyway, I recently picked up something at WalMart called Nature's Defense. It's an organic compound that is supposed to keep all sorts of animals out of your garden and yard, including cats! I found it over in the garden and outdoor section on an END cap. White and green container.

Good luck.
    Gypsy98

Answer by Gypsy98 at 5:18 PM on Apr. 25, 2009