What would make a child pee in her pants when hollered at?

She is a 3 yr old, instigating, irritating, trouble making niece of mine who pees herself when i tell her to stop it. Is it for attention? She gets up and goes at night. My brother told me she will stand in the bathroom and just let it run down her legs. She has been potty trained for a while. She stood on her coat earlier and did it. It's grossing me out. Causes a lot of laundry here and at her house. I don't understand it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Well just reading the subject line, my first thought was fear, but after the reading the rest of it, it sounds like an attention issue. Maybe it's how she acts out when she's angry for getting trouble. It might be something to bring up with her Dr and get an idea on how to deal with it. That's really no way to live for very long. But I would first rule out some kind of physical problem.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• WOW!

I'm going out on a limb here.... but maybe because she's THREE and an adult who is a lot bigger than her & has it out for her thinking she's an "instigating, irritating, trouble-maker" is YELLING at her and literally SCARING the pee out of her?
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 11:45 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• i dont have it out for her. she had a behavioral appt cuz my brother was at a loss too. she wasnt doing this then. its mostly when she is caught being mean. i asked her if she wants to be treated like the big girl she is or a baby. she chose baby. her mother wants another one but my brother dont. i think she overhears too much and its for attention maybe? she can hit my kid in the nose and when i asked her why she would do something like that-she pees.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Sounds like attention. Anything new going on? New house, baby, school or kid at school who does it? Any bad treatment from family or school?
    Anonymous

• Have you tried asking her?

Get down on her level, says "don't worry, you won't get into any trouble. Just tell me, why did you pee yourself?" and see if she'll start talking. be sure to ask if ther is anything else she wants to talk about, too.
    Anonymous

• This sounds to me like a fear or stress reaction. You need to find a different way to communicate with you child, unless hollering is the standard form of communication in your home (this is how my spouse was raised; I hate being around his family).

Answer by rkoloms at 12:31 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• sounds like she's stressed. Why do you feel that she's "instigating, irritating, (and) trouble making"? She is only three. Those are strong and negative words that indicate even to people over the Internet that her home life may be negative, uncomfortable, or even scary. How can a three year old have such large character flaws?

Why do you feel the need to yell at her until she pees in her pants? If she's having that large of a reaction to your yelling you really need to evaluate the way you communicate with her.

Sorry if that sounds harsh.
    dreyamom

Answer by dreyamom at 1:19 AM on Apr. 25, 2009