would you be jealous over someone gettin stuff out of the trash?

i admit im a dumpster diver lol not literally but every year we have city wide clean up where ppl can put out large items like furniture appliances or any other big stuff that normal trash collectors wont pick up. my DH and i drive around to see what we can find, ppl throw out perfectly good dressers and tables all the time. actually most of what we have we got on city wide clean up. we take it home i clean them up and re finish add hardware ect. a friend of ours got pissy with us last night cause we found a bench swing and buffet table, nothing wrong with either, the buffet just needs sanded and varnish. the people were selling their house so just threw it out. and we arent the only ones doing this there were several trucks out last night with ppl gettin stuff off of curbs. why get pissed about it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Pissed as in jealous? Thats just silly. Just because they are too proud to get peoples gently used items does not mean they should be pissed at you because you have the skills to refurbish things.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:48 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Finders Keepers baby!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Finders keepers, exactly! I pick up stuff off the side of the road, too. I'm not ashamed! But I don't get mad if I see something and when I go back someone else is getting it. Heck, last weekend I picked up a 32" flat screen TV someone threw out. It got rained on, so we're trying to dry it out before we see if it works. Hey one man's trash is another man's treasure. Better than spending $500+ on a new tv...
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 11:49 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Last time we did that, we grabbed an old hutch. It was full of cockroaches. Sometimes stuff is left out there for a reason.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Ewwww!!!
    Anonymous

• my mom does the same thing and so do I. Its a great way to save some dough and get the things you need. I don't see why she would be bad.
    EmeryRosesMommy

Answer by EmeryRosesMommy at 12:03 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• really it's stupid for them to get mad, they can be out doing the same things if they wanted. They can also look on craigslist, where people give away pieces really cheap or free as well. If they don't do the work, they don't get the price. :)
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:37 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Nope I'd be happy for you! I have a knack for finding free good 'trash' too, same w/my brother and dad...one man's trash is another man's treasure :-D Enjoy!
    eminelson

Answer by eminelson at 12:47 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I knew a couple that used to do that. My husband worked with them and they would come to work bragging about taking trash cans!!! and other things. I mean seriously , who takes peoples trash cans? lmao!
    beingamomrocks1

Answer by beingamomrocks1 at 1:02 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• op again

i check and make sure there are no little critters are living in there b4 i pick stuff up and wont pick up couches or mattress for that reason, critters can hide easily. and i do most of the cleaning outside

and i cant figure out why they so mad about it. its frustrating other than if you walk into my house you would think we have alot of money but we dont we get food stamps and myDH makes less than 1700 a month. we just know where to put our money . i dont see spending alot on new stuff when i can pay less than 10 to fix up free items
    Anonymous