Orange Juice....

I know you are't supposed to give baby's orange juice, but when did you give it to your child. Also is there a big difference between Sunny delight? My son is 1 and I didnt know if he could have sunny d. My other kids drink it.

yaffamommy

Asked by yaffamommy at 11:47 AM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sunny Delight is not the same as real juice.

I would suggest giving just a taste for a couple of days. Seriously...maybe one swallow. Wait to see if there is a reaction.

This coming from a mom with a son who has a NASTY reaction to even one mouthful of citrus fruits. (literally just citrus fruits...anything orange, lemon, lime, ect...) The two days of burning, acidy diarrhea leaving BURNS on the skin covering his but isn't worth it! Ick.

It's not the "norm" to have such a reaction, but just in case....a taste at a time for a couple of days just like a new baby food.

rkoloms...she's talking about a toddler, not a baby. I'll grant that juice is still "not needed" but she's not talking about giving juice to a baby.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:24 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• The reason why no orange juice is because of the high acid levels. If you give some to your baby and they don't break out in a massive diaper rash (like mine did when she accidentally got tomato sauce from a pizza crust) then it should be fine.

If there are any doubts, just give the pedi office a call. Mine has a Medical Assistant that will call you back to answer questions like these.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 11:49 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I think I started giving it to mine sometime shortly after they turned a yr old. I would just keep it very much in moderation, the acidity of it can make them break out. I think I usually gave it to my boys about once a week or so, until they were around 2, or maybe closer to 3. I agree with CarolynBarnett to give him some and see if it makes him break out or not.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 11:55 AM on Apr. 24, 2009

• No Juice! Babies need water, not sugary drinks.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:17 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Thanks
    yaffamommy

Answer by yaffamommy at 1:40 PM on Apr. 24, 2009