Does it really bother you, as Christians, that some of us have no interest in converting?

Does our lack of interest in Christianity bother you on a personal level (ie. you are worried about us) or does it bother you because you have been told it is your "job" to convert us?

I'm asking because I personally don't care if someone decides to become a Jew or not. I would like my kids to remain Jewish, but no one else matters to me in that regard. I know there are lots of Pagans and others who also don't care if you join them. I really just want to know why you, personally, care?

Marwill

Asked by Marwill at 11:53 AM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• it doesnt bother me at all. i have the capacity to realize that i wouldnt enjoy someone constantly bugging me about joining their faith...so why would i turn around & do that to someone else?

if someone asks me about Christianity, or has a misconception, i will talk about my faith. and i will invite someone who seems interested to church...but once they say "no thanks" thats the end of it for me. i respect other ppl's paths & hope they respect mine.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:02 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Doesn't bother me at all - whatever path works best for you is what's best, and I have to respect that. Besides, life would be boring if we all tried to fit in one little box - I love the diversity!
    I don't believe in Hell, so I'm not worried about your soul, btw!
    =)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:05 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I wouldn't want to see anyone go to hell. Is that how Jewish people are they don't care about others???

mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 12:06 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I didn't say Jewish people don't care about others. I said that we don't care whether or not others convert to Judaism. Conversion isn't what we are about. Please stop misinterpreting stuff on purpose. I was asking a question about something that is totally outside of my experience. Isn't that what this forum is for?
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 12:09 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• It doesn't bother me because I have the attitude that "I must win", but I do worry for them sometimes and sometimes I realuze that God is in control, but it definitely saddens me. My husband is not a believer so I am faced with this daily. I do not however lecture or try to convert him, but I pray and we do talk about things when he asks ne questions about my faith. I tend not to be a pushy person, but rather very open.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 12:11 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Marwill : Good question. Here is my honest answer... it bothers me yes but I will not push someone into it. People make their choices and I already know who are not interested and who say they aren't but their wheels are turning and they are being drawn. The bible does say some will plant seeds others will water and others will see the results. If I am a seed planter I am thrilled and I will entrust the Holy Spirit to do the rest. My job is not to convert but to share Christ's Love.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:11 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Shaneagle - so for you it is about sharing a love that you feel? I'm just trying to understand.
    Precious said she is worried and that seems to be the feeling I get from most Christians I know. I just wondered if you worry just about those you know, or if you worry about everyone? I guess I can understand wanting to share a sense of love more easily than I can understand worry.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 12:19 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I don't think worry is the best word but I am grieved, sad that kind of thing. I feel this way for all not just people I know. It's called compassion and mercy.

God's Love is not something you feel it is Who HE is. Unconditional LOVE says this ... I will do this for you because I want to, I love you, I care about the state you are in. When God let His SON choose it was LOVE to let HIS SON take upon the SIN of the WORLD. It was Jesus's LOVE that propelled HIM and GRACE carried HIM through.
    HIS LOVE is loving us where we are at but also Loving us enough not to leave us there.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:27 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I was kind of taught that if God wants me to witness to someone, he'll lead me to that person. I wouldn't try to "convert" anyone if I didn't honestly feel like I was led to do so.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 12:33 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Marwill - I am a Christian, and I'm all about sharing the love, but I believe that this love is meant to be unconditional and selfless, with no expectation, such as conversion or belief. We are to love merely for the sake of loving, without expecting anything in return or putting conditions of any kind upon it.
    I believe that, no matter our differences, we are all connected through this love, by this love, and that no matter how you interpret it or experience it, it is this love that binds and inspires us all. To me, it is the love of God (I believe all personal paths are merely different ways to God), others may have a different name or perception of it (however their religious beliefs prescribe), but we all do share it, and we should embrace this instead of dwelling on our differences - for our differences and diversities are what makes this world such a beautiful place!!!
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:38 PM on Apr. 24, 2009