Used carseat

My friend gave me an infant seat because at this time we can't afford to buy a new one, it has never been in an accident or miss used according to her. Is it safe to use it? It is an older model Graco seat and I only plan to use it until December or so then switch to a convertible seat I already have. Should I use the used seat?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:10 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• If no major accident and not expired, it's fine.
    Anonymous

• If you have a convertible seat you can use it rear facing so you don't need the infant seat as long as you dont mind carrying your baby everywhere. But yes the rule is no more than 6 years old. As long as it has all working parts and is less that 6 years old it should be fine. Even if its older than 6 years old if the straps work along with the rest of the safe features and its installed properly you will be fine.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 12:13 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Technically, you should never use a used car seat. That's what the manufacturers say. But, I've used second hand car seat for each of my kids at some point.
    gabenmikeysmom

Answer by gabenmikeysmom at 12:14 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Depends on the age of the seat as well. I think the law states you must get a new seat if yours is 5 yrs or older. I know this may sound bad, but when it comes to my kids, I don't trust anyone but dh and myself. So if I was in your shoes, I'd just go out and spend the money on a new one. Either that or look into a fire dept/police station, they sometimes have seats available to give away. My child's life means more to me than saving a few bucks, and I'm NOT saying your child's life means nothing to you. Just be cautious!
    Anonymous

• If it hasn't been in an accident it should be fine. You should probably get the make and model info on the seat so you can check with the manufacturer that there are no recalls for that particular model. When is your baby due? We only used ours for three months! My son grew out of his sooo fast.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 12:18 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• My baby will be born on May 21st, I would go buy a new seat if we could, I have 2 other children so like the idea of using an infant seat for the first few months until I get use to managing 3 small children. I will probably switch to the convertible seat when she is a few months old, I just wanted to know if its safe to use the used seat.
    Anonymous

• I would go buy a new one. If the carseat was in ANY accident, even a minor one, it needs to be thrown out. Check the expiration date on the bottom of the carseat. I wouldn't use a used carseat.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 12:41 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Check and see what the expiration date on the seat is. If it is expired you need a new seat.

Anonymous

• Be sure to call the 800 number on the manufacturer's label or visit www.cpsc.gov for carseat recalls to make sure that particular model has not been recalled. If not as long as it's never been in an accident, and if it's less than 3 years old, you can use it. (at least that is what is recommended according to safety guidelines)

CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 12:44 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• ""I would go buy a new one. If the carseat was in ANY accident, even a minor one, it needs to be thrown out. Check the expiration date on the bottom of the carseat. I wouldn't use a used carseat. ""

Actually, tha'ts not true. Check out this website for good info. http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/childps/ChildRestraints/ReUse/RestraintReUse.htm
    Anonymous