I HAVE TO STOP SMOKING AND HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO QUIT!

I just found out YESTERDAY that I HAVE to stop smoking for health reasons before I undergo surgery. I've smoked since I was a teenager and I hadn't even so much as thought of quitting. Now I've got less than 2 weeks to go cold turkey. Any suggestions?

Dmommy4

Asked by Dmommy4 at 12:13 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• A very forceful person to support you. I quit cold turkey after almost 8 years. The first two days sucked so bad. Find someone who can stay with you the whole time. I tried to smoke, he'd take it from me. I'd throw a fit, he'd stand his ground. Now I'm smoke free and happy to be so!
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 12:20 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Gums and patches. Find candy to suck on to help with the cravings.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 12:14 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• My ex quit smoking about 2 years ago, and he used the patch. Seemed to work pretty well for him. Not sure if they will let you do that or not if its for medical reasons. :) Good luck.
    Anonymous

• Chantix, patches, gum, suckers, put it off as long as you can. Talk to your dr.
    gabenmikeysmom

Answer by gabenmikeysmom at 12:15 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Y cold turkey? I used a low dose of th patch. Quitnet.com is also and excellent resource. Brainstorm reasons why you want to quit and post them at all exits to your house so you can't go out to smoke without reading I DONT WANT CANCER! by the door. Save the money and blow it on a treat you would never by yourself. Eat hard candy especially suckers or twizzlers so yoou can get the hand to mouth. It helped me to stash a few so I knew i was having power over them, so I didn't get panicked and crave one more. Avoid triggers...stay off the phone if thats when you smoke the most...avoid car trips if thats when you smoke...You can do it!! Look at pics online of damaged lungs!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:21 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I just quit smoking and I did it cold turkey. It's HARD. I know several people who have used Chantix, but if you only have two weeks, you might want to consider patches or something like that. They actually tell you to smoke for a while on Chantix before quitting... it will make your cigarettes taste horrible. My sister said the lozenges and gum taste horrible and she just went cold turkey after trying them.

Get as much support as possible. If anyone around you smokes, see if they will quit with your or at the very least make sure they don't smoke around you and that they refuse to let you cheat!

Good luck!
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 12:22 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I quit smoking at age 25 after smoking since I was 13. I tried a few months prior by going on Welbutrin but it didn't last. Then on a Tuesday morning I decided today's the day. And I just quit. The hardest days for me were around 2-3 weeks. But then it starts to get a little easier. I still crave them, 3 years later, but it's just not worth it now!

Also, think of the money you can save. Say you smoke 3 packs a week which is like $7 a pack now. That's $21 a week. That's $84 a month. And that's $1008.00 a year!
    Anonymous

• I quit smoking cold turkey and i had tried the patch several times before that. Cold turkey was easier for me cuz with the patch you're still getting the nicotine and it just made me want to smoke more. When i quit, every single time I started to think about it, I made myself think of something else. I kept really busy, my house never was so clean as it was then! I watched t.v. and I have to admit, choc ice cream became a new close friend!! It gets easier as the days go by. And it is soooooo worth it. It sucks at first, but I feel so much better now. Good luck.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 12:53 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Throw them away. Don't buy more. Get nicotene gum. Drink lots and lots of water. Be thankful that you are being forced to quit. You will live longer and create less pollution for the planet.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:54 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Nicotine gum. I've been chewing it since Christmas Eve.
    BingsMommy

Answer by BingsMommy at 2:44 AM on Apr. 25, 2009