Breast VS Bottle:

We've all heard the stories about how breastfeeding produces perfectly healthy babies, and how formula can cause ear infections / a weak immune system...ect. But I was wondering. How many of your babies have actually NEVER gotten sick, gotten a cold, an ear infection from breastfeeding, and how many of your formula fed babies HAVE gotten these things, and others? Do you think it's true that formula makes babies fat, sickly, and weak? My 6th month old is formula fed, and has been since the day he was born, and he's advanced according to the parenting books. He's doing now, what the chapters say an 8 or 9 month old should be doing. He's never been sick, and never even had a diaper rash, so , What do you think?

lynnseyfaye

Asked by lynnseyfaye at 12:25 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i ff all three of my children and all three are healthy
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 12:27 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• My son was the exact same way. Except I breastfed for a little bit. It was about a month and a half or so... I don't think breast milk is much different from formula these days to be honest. But some women swear by it. hmmm oh well. =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 12:28 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• All of my kids were formula fed and had nothing more than the common cold. They are not overweight and the don't look sickly and are not weak and Bf are no smarter than Ff. My DD is honor roll and has been since 2nd grade and is now in the 11th grade. Chew on that.
    Anonymous

• I think that yes BF is best, but FF is just as good. My dd is FF since she was 3 days old, and she has had One ear infection, when she was teething, is tall for her age, and of 'normal' weight. I think that if it is going to happen it will wether they are BF or FF. BTW my dd is advance compared to other babies her age, and older too!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 12:30 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• My son got his first cold at 18 months when we moved from NC to MI. Before that, he had one very high fever at about 3 months. He was breastfed until almost 2. I can only compare him to my friends kid's-he was sick way less than they were-they were FF, but one also had an older sibling that could have brought stuff home.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 12:30 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I think it would depend on the individual baby, just because a baby is breast or formula fed doesn't make either perfect. A baby can get a cold either way. Mine were formula fed, I was unable to get enough milk out. From possible effects of chemo a few years ago.
    Anonymous

• OMG. Here is the deal. I had one of each. One breastfed, the other bottle. GUESS WHAT.. both of my children have equal issues. Allergies and colds. In fact the breastfed child has severe allergies. It's hereditary my Dear. All the sayings are old wives tails. Not true. If it were, my breastfed child would be a super human being.. NOT.. She is sick, sinus infections and allergies all the time. SORRY to all the moms who believe these things.
    Anonymous

• My son is FF and has never been sick. He's almost 8 months old. He's definitely not overweight as he's in the 25% percentile. My son is very healthy and doing everything an 8 month old should be doing.
    Anonymous

• My doc walked into the office (I had just changed doc) and took one look at my 4month old and said that is a healthy bf baby. And he was right. She has never been sick or had anything wrong, except sensitive skin which my husband and I both have (so how could we expect her to not get it) She is rolling both ways and scooting anywhere she wants to go. She has always been way above her age mark but I am also a SAHM. I think having her mother home all the time to work with her, read to her, and so on is just as important as what you feed them.
    Anonymous

• Formula can never be as good as breastmilk because your body's milk is constantly changing and evolving. Formula makers can't match it.
    Anonymous