Anyone else have an anemic child on iron supplements?

My four year old son has "severe iron deficiency" and his dr prescribed an iron supplement and vitamin C. The pharmacist says that the liquid supplement can stain his teeth so we try and have him take it with a straw. Anyone else have a child taking this? Did they have any problems with stomach aches or other side effects? Did they eventually get weaned off the iron b/c their levels went back up? Any help is appreciated! Thx.

TwinMomma122304

Asked by TwinMomma122304 at 12:56 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my son needs to take 3/4 tblspn of a liquid ferrous sulfate supplement. he hasnt had any problems so far other than stained teeth, but I have been mixing it in diluted juice and his teeth are back to normal.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:59 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• If your family doctor did not refer you to a nutritionist to help you solve your son's iron deficiency, you need to find one. Beans, lentils, tofu, greens. I would rather have a bean burrito with tomato salsa than a nasty supplement, wouldn't you?

Answer by rkoloms at 2:07 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• My son takes 1 tsp 2 times a day. We have only been on it for a little over a month. So far no staining of his teeth. I dilute it in 2 tablespoons of caffiene free Dr. Pepper. It is the only way he will drink it.
    michele132

Answer by michele132 at 2:37 PM on Apr. 24, 2009