Advice on postparom depression?

I haven't ha my postpardom visit with my doctor yet, but I'm pretty sure I'm suffering with depression. I struggled with depression as a child, and hated taking medication, most of which mae me a rage-a-holic. Anyone have any advice on dealing with it without medication?

lilmama31709

Asked by lilmama31709 at 1:17 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I was on and off the medicine after baby and still was depressed, it's not that bad anymore, but I so have swings were I am one week, I just learned to I guess deal with it I hate the meds I gained like 30 lbs from them and the make me sleep all the time, but try getting out more even if it;s just taking a walk or going to the park, talk to friends and people, I know I'm less depressed when I'm with or talking to someone.
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 1:21 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• if you need medication than its better to use it than to suffer. If you don't think you need it and can cope without think of ways that help you, it can be different for everyone. For me things that help are going for walks, being around encouraging people, getting a lot of TLC from hubby, breastfeeding helped tramendously (sp?).... infact the most out of all of these. Take care of yourself.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 1:24 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Try a natural balancing cream. Arbonne has one called prolife. Also eating healthy and exercise. But don't feel bad if you have to get on medication for a little while, you may be so happy you did.
    Kaitlyn0816

Answer by Kaitlyn0816 at 2:40 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• St. Johns Wart.. sounds nasty but its an all natural pill that helps with depppresion. Ive suffered from Dysthima..which is basically severe deppression. Ive tried pretty much every med out there and then some. If you feel you have PPD it is very serious! And when you get on medication if you dont feel like yourself on it its WRONG talk to your doc make him fix it untill you feel like your self again. The medication is supose to help you not make things worse. Also talk it out with who ever will listen DONT bottle it up it makes thing MUCH worse. Good luck.
    keegansMommi615

Answer by keegansMommi615 at 2:15 AM on Apr. 25, 2009