First Depo Shot

I started my first depo shot 2 months ago. I havent had a period yet. Is this normal? I dont know much about the depo shot. I'm over weight and I dont know if it was even working because I know alot of BC arent as effective when you are over 200 lbs.

beingamomrocks1

Asked by beingamomrocks1 at 1:26 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I was on the depo as a teenager and it can stop your period, It stopped mine, and I was on the shot for nine months. It was terrible when I did get my period after getting off of it, I had never cramped so bad, and now after having my son, I'd compare them to contractions. Plus, I gained sixty pounds in that nine months, so if you are overweight, you may wanna talk to your doctor about switching to another method.
    lilmama31709

Answer by lilmama31709 at 1:30 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Yah I had Depo shot too. I hated it. I didnt get my period eather. Well sometimes I would and the worst part, I gained a ton of weight.

Also - a few weeks ago a post on CM said the depo was recalled??? IDK maybe look into it. Good Luck!
    bristle3kids

Answer by bristle3kids at 1:44 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Also - I use the IUD - no hormones. It is the best thing since sliced bread!!!! :)
    bristle3kids

Answer by bristle3kids at 1:45 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I'm def not using it anymore. Ive managed to lose 10 lbs somehow. But I just dont feel like myself. And i know having a period is a hassle, But I think i'd rather have it then sit there and wonder whats going on! lol
    beingamomrocks1

Answer by beingamomrocks1 at 1:46 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I was on it for a little over a year..75% of the time, I bled and bled and bled non-stop then one day, nothing. I didn't have a period for 3 months after I stopped the shot..It made me gain 50lbs which I have yet to lose=[
    but the no period part..completely normal..thats why they put me on it but i managed to spend months bleeding lol
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 1:53 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• i hate depo, i took it for almost 2 years. I didnt gain weight but know alot of people who did from depo. i didnt have my period which to me was great. i am on the nuvaring, and i like it. i think all BC sucks!
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 1:54 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• depo does something different to everybody. i wouldn't have my period for a while, then i would bleed chunks, then i would spot, then i wouldn't bleed again. I hated it i took it for a bout a year and got off of it because of this. Also when i had sex i would bleed sometimes. Went to the dr and they said it was because of the depo. I didnt take anything after the depo and i didnt get pregnant until 3 years later. i would not recommend it.

twinsnseptember

Answer by twinsnseptember at 2:15 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• to me that was the whole appeal of the depo shot! no periods! and mine stopped right away and i didnt gain any weight but ive heard a lot of people do. it was kind of scary to not have a regular period though because its nice to have taht reassurance that youre not prego. also, after i got off of it my dr told me you're not supposed to be on it for more than 5 years cuz it can cause some serisoul bone deterioration.
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 3:15 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• the depo shot can aslo make you infertal. took me three years to get pregnant after bieng on it for only 9 mo
    Anonymous