Should I get my teaching license renewed?

I am 42 and a SAHM but my youngest is turning 5 in the fall. I have homeschooled my kids for 13 years, but was a public school teacher before homeschooling. I am still homeschooling four of my children and two are graduates. I have let my teaching license expire for many years, but am thinking of taking renewal credits at the local community college while we are visiting back home this summer. I thought it might be a good thing to have my license validated again just in case I ever need it. Any advice?

minasmama6

Asked by minasmama6 at 1:29 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Money & Work

• My youngest will be going to Kindergarten in the Fall...YAY! :o) And I just started substitute teaching....I prefer subbing much more than being a permanent teacher...more flexibility--working as much or as little as I want, being able to be home when my children are home, and earning MUCH more than working retail, etc.

While teaching USED to be a recession proof job, in many cities, programs and teachers are being cut/laid-off and substitutes are being used more than ever, because they are a lot less expensive on a per diem basis and with regards to benefits packages.

I think I would start off as a substitute, and if you find you're enjoying it, and your school districts are expanding rather than reducing, then consider going back to recertify your credentials.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:52 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I think you should renew your liscense.I think you should prepare for when the kids are older and you return to work.(if you so choose)
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 1:43 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Absolutely. I am sure that there are plenty of schools in your area where you can substitute.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:14 PM on Apr. 24, 2009