Why

Why do carseats Expires?

No bashing i really just never understood why they expires okay BUT AT leAST I KNOW THEY EXPIRE

one time i went to a garage sale and they lady had 3 expired car seat i told her and she didnt know they expire..i told her to cut the straps and throw them away

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:33 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• oh that and the straps start to tear. i think
    Anonymous

• Thats weird
    bristle3kids

Answer by bristle3kids at 1:37 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Physics. Plastic degrades over time and weakens. Once it reaches a certain stage of degredation, it's no longer safe to use as...well, as a safety device.

The webbing (straps) can be replaced, I guess, but they will also degrade. They constant stress on the straps holding the seat in (if using LATCH) will cause them to weaken over time. Pulling the shoulder straps taught all the time will also weaken them.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:37 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I wondered this myself so I googled it. According to several sites it is the plastic that degrades due to sun exposure. They can become brittle and break down. The manufactures say that any car seat over 6 years old should be distroyed.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:39 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Crap,i accidently deleted my answer lol
    Fabric and plastic get old i guess

Technology changes, Materials wear out, Manufacturing landscapes change
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 1:41 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• i buy new carseats....im scared to use USED carseats
    Anonymous