How long does it take Zantac to really decrease symptoms in reflux? Is anyone emotionally and physically exhausted because their baby has reflux?

I know things will get better, but i am beyond exhausted and feel powerless to help my son through his reflux. We are medicating him with Zantac but it is so up and down. When will the meds start to really stabilize his symptoms? Is it normal to have great days sprinkled with terrible days? I'm doing all the recommended practices to alleviate his reflux and the medication was helping, but now we are having another terrible day. I guess I need to hear some positive stories so I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Thanks for your support.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son used it for 4 months then was fine
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 1:55 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• My daughter is has been on Zantac for about 7 and half months and is she almost 9 months old. I can totally relate to what you are going through, it has been the for her. She has good days (mostly good now thank God) but for a while it got really bad and she started arching her back and shaking her head back and forth ALOT, her dr. also put her on Previcid. That helped A LOT! Her Dr. has cut down on the Zantac since she is sitting up and eating baby food. At her nine month check up I will ask if we can cut out the zantac altogether and justleave her on the Prevacid. hopefully that wil work, if not I will continue with both meds for as long as she needs them. I feel for you, just hang in there and let his Doc know how he is doing and maybe ask about Prevacid. My sisters son is going through the same thing (he was a preemie) and its been BAD for him (and my sister) he has been on Zantac but now his doc is also putting him on
    tazcentral

Answer by tazcentral at 2:13 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Continuted from above! putting him on Prevacid and wants tow ween him off the zantac in a few weeks.... we live in different states so different docs, same conclusion.... Let me know if you have any other questions, I would be glad to help! Good luck!
    tazcentral

Answer by tazcentral at 2:15 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Hi! My son had reflux on top of his colic so I know what you are going through. Did you check with the doctor to make sure your baby wasn't colic too? The Zantac worked for him after about a week or so. But the colic didn't go away until he was about 4 months. Good Luck! Don't worry...IT DOES PASS!!!
    mamie2shoes

Answer by mamie2shoes at 3:33 PM on Apr. 24, 2009