• In the Spotlight:

How long does this period of seperation anxiety usually last?

My son is right on my heels at times! If I'm going back and forth he's like a little kitten, right there! If I leave and go in another room, he rages! Then at other times he does his own thing and isn't thinking about me.

His_Mommy26

Asked by His_Mommy26 at 1:55 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• How old is he? They go in spurts usually around 6 months then they stop and then around 9 months they do it again and then a year. The best way to stop it is to leave the room and talk to him and then stop talking and if he cries let him cry for a few minutes then go and get him so he see's that out of sight isn't out of mind. He is past the 6 month stage of it so he should be able to entertain himself but if your running to him when he gets upset he will continue. So just tell him your okay mommy is here I will be done in a minute.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 2:03 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• He just turned one this month.
    His_Mommy26

Answer by His_Mommy26 at 2:10 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• My daughter had one around 12 months and it didn't last too long. And it was NOTHING compared to the one right around 17 or 18 months -- whew she was attached. That one was over by about 21 months but now she's nearly 23 months and the 2 year-old fears are beginning (she's all the sudden scared of shadows, balls rolling, all sorts of things, and so has moments where she won't go downstairs by herself, etc.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:00 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Children are like little elastic bands when it comes to independance/separation anxiety. It comes and goes as they grow, realize how big their world is, and try to figure out their role in it. Just hang in there and try to practice with him. Set up a gated area and play with him for a few minutes then say "mommy has to go do X" then go do something quick and come back. Gradually go away for longer periods and give him a big hug/kiss and tell him what a good boy he was while you were gone. He may still cry when you come back but he's doing that because it's the only way he knows right now to express that he missed you. Hang in there!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 3:03 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• It peaks around 18 months but it comes and goes until they are adults - we just change the name to "home sick".
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:08 PM on Apr. 24, 2009