Are every-day Republicans holding a grudge?

"There's a 61 percentage point gap between Democratic and Republican opinions of Obama's job performance. Democrats are extraordinarily sweet on Obama, while Republicans are especially sour. The gaps were smaller at comparable periods for both Republican George W. Bush and Democrat Bill Clinton. Obama won 53 percent of the popular vote with a coalition that spanned the ideological spectrum. But nearly half the country didn't vote for him and many still don't support him. Obama's job approval rating is in the low 60s. But Bush was at 62 percent at this point in 2001 and left office in the high 20s."

Do you feel that non-government Republicans are holding onto a party-line grudge? And if so, do you think the party can eventually overcome this grudge before the term is over in order to unite the country? If not, why?

Full article link http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090424/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_obama100_days_bipartisanship

ozarkgirl3

Asked by ozarkgirl3 at 1:57 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Republicans aren't holding a grudge. We are sensible people who realize the election is over and a new President was chosen by a majority of the people. (Whether they knew what they were doing or not is a subject for a different post, and irrelevant here) What is bothering the mainstream Republicans and libertarians, conservative or neutral, is the blatant, in-your-face disregard of everything they believe in and disrespect of their feelings. The liberal, spendthrift policies being implemented at warp speed, with no oversight and leading sharply ever to the left, with no one being able to do anything more than write to a congressman about them is not giving Republicans a "grudge". It is shoving us into a position where we will have to fight our fellow Americans for what we believe in just to save our country. We just want a say in this country's policies, and a chance to stop the train before the inevitable wreck.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 2:37 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• if obama doesnt have republican views, and do things the way republicans wouldnt, why would they be in favor of him? makes sense to me. i dont think its a grudge at all. just a difference in views.
    Anonymous

• Why does the Republican party have to overcome a grudge to unite a country? So much talk of the GOP being the one to come over to the other side. The hell with them, I'm fighting it all the way and fighting hard. I'm not coming over to the other side, and I don't care to see the country united as a bunch of Obama lovers. As far as Obama is concerned there is no Uniting, it is more partisan than the last two Presidents and his continual finger pointing and backwards blaming causes more. How damn far do you want the Pubs to come over to the dark side? I aint budging, and I hope no other Independents, Libertarians or Republicans do either. Then we'd all be Democrats.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 2:02 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I am with akin on this without a doubt.My ideals,principles and basically everything I believe is total opposite of Obama and this admin.There were things I did not agree with Bush on but this go around my disagreements are immense.Why in the world would I go against everything I believe and not do anything at all to try and stop the direction my country is going which I believe is in a horrible direction.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 2:09 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Do you feel that non-government Republicans are holding onto a party-line grudge?

Only if everything you didn't like about Bush was a "party line grudge" with no thought or emotion behind it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:12 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Op, there is this thing called Fundamental Difference? Obama has some far left views and policy proposals. Do you expect Republicans to cowher down and let it happen? Seriously? Are you trying to belittle the fundamental difference of a liberal vs. conservative? And wrap it in a pretty little leftist bow and poo-poo it as stubbornness? LOL. How elementary.

myame

Answer by myame at 2:14 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• It has nothing to do with Party. This is not a football game where we are rooting for our team. The disagreements are not a matter of fluff, or an emotional dislike to be "eventually overcome". Wanting to stop a gov't action which will cause runaway inflation ( = homelessness, joblessness, hunger) is not a difference of opinion you "overcome" ... Objecting to veterans' medical care (for wounds suffered in battle) being cut is not something where you can "just relax about it" .

How can you "unite the country" by requiring thinking citizens to go along with patently insane and damaging actions like printing money and going into debt to China in order to fund unneeded programs which pay back groups or individuals that got Obama elected.

How is uniting the country more important than obeying the Constitution? Is this being used as a way to distract the public from the very REAL wrongs that keep coming up every day?
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 2:20 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Thank you OB...I'm about to be homeless because he gave allll of the stimulus to big businesses instead of the ppl who actually WILL put money back into the economy....and before anyone goes off because we have internet,but are losing our home,the internet comes with hubby's job,so SHUP ABOUT THAT,k? I've heard enough on that one,k? ty...
    starrsun

Answer by starrsun at 2:24 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Honesty? Dunno, don't care. I see this as no different as the "grudge" Dems had against Republicans during Bush's time in office. And Obama is fanning the flames of THAT grudge still. Why not just let it go? Besides, why can liberals disagree with conservatives and that's all fine and dandy, but conservatives are said to be acting petty and dividing the country when they don't agree with liberal policies. I don't get that, it makes no sense to me.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 3:03 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Ozark, are you trying to increase the divide with this question? Every time Obama opens his mouth, if he has to report bad news, it is Bush's fault. If he has good news, he and Biden take the credit. Even if Bush was behind the good news). You liberals are trying to make the divide out to be this new thing and Republicans fault. When you and your smearful liberal Pres. are the ones who heighten the divide.
    Anonymous