all this talk of racism and politics and Pres slamming (past and present ones) makes me wonder -

I don't care what party the person is for, I vote for their platform and what I know of their track record for what they've done so far. I've voted for white, black, and Hispanic people. I've voted for men and women.

I don't blindly support any President, but I respect ALL Presidents, past and present, because they have a tough job, and we can only imagine the pressures that go with it. Plus, to get the job, you were elected and therefore are representing the will of the people, whether I agree with the direction that takes or not.

BUT - I can't help but wonder. Why is it that if a person (regardless of skin color) disagreed with something that Bush (either of them), Clinton, Regan, or any other previous Pres did, that was politics, but if someone disagrees with something Obama does, that's racism?

Please, no bashing of me, other posters, or Presidents, past or present. I'm truly wondering why this is.

sailorwifenmom

Asked by sailorwifenmom at 1:57 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I also want to ask, if / when we get the first woman President, will disagreements with her be considered sexist? Even if, for example, McCain had won, then died, and Palin was to take over? Because imo, many of her views are sexist, so would a man who disagreed with her still be sexist?

Like I said, I'm really wondering about this, on a philosophical level, not on a lets bash this party or that party or this politician or that politician level.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:01 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• its a double standard people will never get over.. i dont recall EVER having the thought of a black person being racist when they didnt agree with bush (which MANY didnt) cross my mind.
    Anonymous

• This election has brought out the best and the worst of people. IMO the only reason the word racism is going around more is because racism towards blacks is common and more popular than with any other race. So some people are mistaking an innocent disagreement with the president with them being racist. Know what i mean? NOT SAYING ITS RIGHT, but thats what i feel is the reality of it. JMHO
    Anonymous

• Hillary and Palin both had to deal with sexism, and McCain ageism. And Ferraro did, and Dole did and Reagan did. It just depends on what weak spot the other party can find at the time to continually kick. With Dukakis and his campaign, his weak spot was his wife, the kicked her to the point she was suicidal. With Obama, when there is any type of opposition, the Dems bring up race because it's the only thing they have right now against the opposition in regards to defending Obama. In my opinion there is no defending The A$$hole, he is what he is, and it is becoming more evident everyday. April 29th is day 100, there is no more crying " give him time", and he himself stated after Jan.20 his blackness was no longer an issue, he was just the President now. So liberals and Dems need to give up the wait and see issue AND the racist issue. Time to face the music, even if it isn't Wed. night at the White House.
    akinbottom2

Answer by akinbottom2 at 2:09 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Because Obama is not making the best decisions and appointments and it shows. Obama's policies are not gaining support. The left is scared. So they throw the race card whenever convenient as an attempt to shut people up... Apparently they never read the story of the little boy who cried wolf?

myame

Answer by myame at 2:10 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Thank you both for answering, and for being polite about it :-)

I would like to know what you both think about the other part of my question (lol, I hit submit before that part came to mind, plus, I was running out of room in the question part anyway :-) )

Will men be considered sexist if they disagree with the first woman Pres? What if her views are considered sexist themselves?
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:13 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• i would only find it sexist if he said something like "this woman cant do anything right, a woman cant run the country!"
    Anonymous

• akin,
    You make a good point about how others have faced ageism and sexism, but I'm not talking about during the elections themselves. Sadly, those do tend to get down and dirty where both sides throw whatever they can at the other instead of addressing the issues. I mean after they're elected. I don't remember hearing a lot of talk about how people who disagreed with Reagan were against old people - even when those people were making jokes about his age.

I can't help but wonder why this is.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:16 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• myame,

Thank you for your answer, too. That could explain why, if that is what they're doing. So I wonder if this is going to be the new trend in politics from here on out, bringing up the race (no matter what it is) or the gender (again, no matter what it is), whenever there is political disagreement with any future Presidents?

If so, then how sad, because if that's the case then it seems to me that we are going backwards in our strive for racial and sexual equality.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 2:20 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Some I think is because we have become too PC and some is because alot of democrats have latched onto those tactics to demonize the other side.imo that is blantly obvious.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 2:21 PM on Apr. 24, 2009