Co-Sleeping, should it be against the law?

NEWS!!!!

Four infants in Wisconsin who were co-sleeping with adults have died in the last six weeks.

I am guilty I let my girls sleep in bed with me from time to time, looking back on it I am not sure I would allow it .

LimoMOM5

Asked by LimoMOM5 at 2:09 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• No I don't think it should be against the law...I dont want the government telling me how to parent. What if I'm holding the baby on the couch and doze off? Can't sleep together til they are how old?
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:11 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I don't think it should be against the law but I don't think its a good idea. No one sleeps good and you always have the risk of rolling onto your child or your SO. I think parents just need to cut the cord and let their kids be in their own rooms. Co-sleeping is the parents fault not the childs so the parents should think about what they are doing. My daughter has never slept in our bed unless its only me and her and then its a nap here and there and she sleeps on the other side of the bed with a side rail on one side and i keep a pillow beside me so I don't roll on her.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 2:12 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• no i dont think it should be against the law, but there should certainly be better information out there about the risks. and there are bassinets you can "attach" to the bed, which is considered co-sleeping but the babies have enough room to sleep on their own mattress and the outer edge has a safe gate. i've never co-slept, but have nursed my son in the mornings in bed and we both ended up falling asleep numerous tmes, but it was just baby and I since SO was at work. if I did co-sleep I would have gotten the bassinet to ease my mind
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:14 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I think it should because not very many parents take precautions when it comes to co-sleeping. We used a baby airflow back sleeper, it keeps them from rolling over and it kept us from rolling over. Plus it said it reduces SIDS because of the air flow, it keeps the baby cool. Anyways I agree that it should be illegal since again not very many parents think they will roll over their child.
    Anonymous

• Some how I doubt that is the whole story of what and why those babies died.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 2:15 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Hell no. Theres no way they could regulate that and if they did, then that would be pure socialism. Just tell us what to do because we're too stupid to figure it out on our own...**rolls eyes** If they find that its better that they not do it, then make a suggestion, but its still up to the parents to decide. Just like its my choice to vaccinate or not, or make my child wear a helmet when riding a bike. I love how we don't make dysfunction in the home, such as baby daddy drama illegal, but we will talk about other things like its so much more of a travesty. Kids emotional health is just as important, but we can bury our head in the sand about it.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:21 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• No!

Answer by rkoloms at 2:27 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• how the he-l could ALL 4 infants die?? all in the same night?? i cant see this as only coming from co-sleeping. i agree with mythicmmm. i dont think this is the entire story.

were they all facing down? were the parents drunk? were they covered with a big blanket? surrounded by pillows???i certainly would not blame this on the co-sleeping itself. this was the fault of the parents.. who thought it was a good idea to have FOUR infants to sleep on a bed together. i still believe co-sleeping is fine if it's just ONE baby, and one parent. but four is just stupid! i'm sorry. but that is just my personal opinion.

but to simply answer your question.. no. it should not be against the law. that's not even something anyone could really enforce. just something opposing lawyers could stick on (after the fact) as an added offense if an infant were to die for sleeping in the same bed.
    Anonymous

• Absolutely NOT! Both of our children co-slept my husband and I when they were infants (they moved into their own bed once they were sleeping through the night) and we will be doing the same with our third child in a few years.

I personally feel like my husband and I got a deeper bond with our children from co-sleeping. However, there are precautions a parent must take so that nothing will happen to the baby.
    crkirby

Answer by crkirby at 2:40 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Can you provide a link? I would like to read it myself.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:57 PM on Apr. 24, 2009