Should a two year old be taking naps?

My 28 month old son had stopped taking naps!!!! It was the only time I could actually get things done around the house. Should I enforce a nap, or at least quiet time? He gets really grumpy a couple hours before bedtime!

beingamomrocks1

Asked by beingamomrocks1 at 2:14 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes make him lay down. If he sleeps fine and if not at least he is resting to get some energy back. Possibly move his bed time up some if he is crabby and wont nap. Yes he may get up earlier in the morning but then he may take a nap that afternoon. Work around him he can help you do things or he can play by himself why you do things in the home. My 7 month old crawls all over and I clean around her.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 2:16 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• My son stopped at 20 months, but he does quiet time on his own, he'll go into his room and just sit there pretending to read. Sometimes he'll fall asleep but majority of the time he doesn't. I would enforce it for your own benefit, but if he's grumpy then yes at least make him lay down quietly with no TV on, but if it's just to help you get quiet time then no, that's selfish.
    Anonymous

• well I have no experience since my son (first baby so far) is only 1, but I would think it's good for a 2 yr old to have at least 1 nap, and like you said, if not a "nap", then some quiet time. like maybe put him in the bed along with a picture book, or gate off his bedroom so he can play with some toys or watch a movie
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:18 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I think he should still be napping. If he sleeps in you might start waking him in the morning a little earlier so he'll be a little more ready for a nap, or do as the first poster suggested and put him in bed earlier at night to get the cycle going.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:19 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• the only way i get my 2 yr old to take a nap is i tell her she can sleep in mommys bed for her nap... she climbs right in and goes to sleep. but she sleeps in her crib at night
    Cyarasmom

Answer by Cyarasmom at 2:21 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Some kids just stop napping around 2 and I've never heard of any foolproof way of forcing them to sleep. A lot of parents leave them in for a long time and they eventually do fall asleep, but then it happens so late that bedtime gets later... I think once this cycle is happening, it's pretty much over. Some kids still need one at this age (some stop napping in kindergarten), it just depends on the child. My daughter's 23 months and naptime is starting to be a bit of a struggle (and it used to be one of her favorite parts of the day... she NEVER resisted before.) I would still make him take a quiet time. If you didn't allow toys in bed for naps, you could start letting him have books or toys, but he needs some low-stimulation time by himself, and you need it, absolutely! The only way I can get any housework done while my kids are awake is to have my toddler "help" me, but surveying her "work" makes it all take forever
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:57 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• He's too young to drop the nap just yet. I'd keep enforcing it. Some days it might not work out (I'm having one of those today with my 29 mos old twins) but the majority of days you'll probably still get some kind of nap. On the days that he doesn't nap, put him to bed a bit earlier at night (that's what we do). Even if he just hangs out and has quiet time in his crib/bed it's better than nothing!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:59 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Alot of us are not blessed to have children nap until they start school!!!! Def make him lay down for at least an hour and a half, or play quietly in his room...you and him need that time :)
    ELC

Answer by ELC at 3:13 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• The grumpiness is a sure sign that he still needs that nap. You can' force him to sleep but I'd start enforcing a quiet lay down time. Set a timer and teach him that he must lay on his bed until it goes off. Check on him a few minutes before hand - if he's asleep, turn the timer off.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:59 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Wow. I thought I had it rough when mine gave up their naps at 3 years! lol

It's one of those "pick your battle" things, I think.

With my guys there was a battle to get them to lay down for a nap...and then after they got up, it was a battle to get them to go to bed. I decided I'd rather them go to bed at night rather than staying up (still in their bed!) and talking/playing for a couple of hours.

There was an adjustment period, and if they are sick (even with a little cold) they DO take a nap (they need the extra sleep) I've also been able to get my current 3 year old to "rest" on the couch with his bear, pillow and a blanket. He's out before his show is over! lol

There will be days when he NEEDS it, and days when he can go without. You have to decide though.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:56 PM on Apr. 24, 2009