1 yr old naptime....

my son's sleep schedule, naps included, seems to be changing a little. some say he might be ready for just one nap, but he still seems tired around the same time he gets his afternoon nap, so I've just been going with the flow. only problem is he wakes up from his afternoon naps around 7pm lately and is in bed later than usual, sometimes around 9pm. but we are just following his cues like we have been since he was an infant. is this ok? or do I need to get a schedule started? today I aimed at getting him to nap (first nap of the day) later than usual, but then again he didnt wake up till close to 10am today, 2 hours later than usual. so really it just evened out since he woke up later.

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 2:22 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I've found that my daughter (1 year) is going through the same type of thing. She's been on a pretty strict schedule since about 7 mo. 7:30 wake, 10:00-12:00 nap, 3:00-4:30 nap, 7:30/8:00 bedtime. However, recently, she seems like she wants to drop the second nap. Some days she does, some days she doesn't. I tried pushing her morning nap back and just giving her one nap but that only worked for about 5 days. Its almost like she is in between stages right now. She doesn't really need two naps but she can't always make it with only 1. Urgh. =) Go with the flow...it should even out soon.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:32 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• My youngest is now 13 months and he has started this too. He will take a morning nap around 10 am and then usually at 2 pm or so. But three times in the last 2 weeks he hasn't went to sleep at his afternoon nap. I can tell he needs it too. So I basically try everyday to put him down and if he sleep great and if not I get him after 1 hour and we will just put him to bed a little earlier. So far it works for us. If he does take a nap and is sleeping well and too late I generally wake him gently by 5:30pm so he won't be wide awake at his 7-7:30pm bedtime.
    MommaM2

Answer by MommaM2 at 2:35 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I have twins so a schedule has been crucial in this house (plus it goes with my personality). There's a great book: Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child by Dr. Marc Weissbluth. It was a life saver.
    Mine switched from two naps to one at 15 months. Babies can drop the morning nap as early as 13 mos.
    Our schedule was as follows at 12mos: Bed time was 7p.m. and wake up time was around 6:30a.m. Following the book, the dr. says that babies are ready to nap after two hours of wakefullness. So, their morning nap would be at 8:30. They'd sleep for about two hours. They'd have lunch at 12 and be down for a nap at 12:30.
    When they dropped the morning nap, I started with an early lunch at 10 and put them down for a nap. Each day I'd push the lunch/nap back by a half hour until we reached lunch at 12 followed by a nap. To compensate/help them adjust to the schedule I'd put them to bed at night a half hour earlier. Feel free to PM me.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 2:55 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Wow guys, my son (13 mo) is doing the same deal that each of you have described! His inconsistancies have been confusing me, because his sleeping patterns were always so predictable before.... sounds like its a normal thing though. Good to know.
    joshuasmommy327

Answer by joshuasmommy327 at 2:56 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• My daughter switched to one nap at 11 months, which is earlier than average but it worked well. She had been refusing her 2nd nap or taking so long to fall asleep for it that it had her sleeping into the evening... So we just kept her up later in the morning and slowly moved her morning nap to after lunch, skipping the 2nd nap altogether... At first she didn't take a longer nap than usual, so she was actually getting less sleep and was visibly overtired, but it was just for a couple of transitional weeks. But eventually she started taking a longer midday nap. It made life a lot easier, too... more time before and after naps to get out of the house, etc, and it ensured that bedtime would not be hard to enforce!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:34 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Mine dropped her second nap at 14 months. She simply started refusing to nap - screaming instead. So I slowly shifted her morning nap later - keeping her up longer in the morning - and moved her bedtime up an hour. The afternoon nap is the critical one to keep so start pushing his first (and only) nap later and later.
    Remember, he still needs the same amount of sleep after he drops a nap. He's just no longer willing to take more of it in the day.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:02 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• My daughter was doing the same thing. She is now 13 months old. What I had to do was for about two weeks I eliminated all distractions about 30 minutes before I wanted her to be asleep. Then I would set up a mat on the floor and lay down with her. For the first few days she just sat playing on the mat, but no matter what she did I did not engage her. Eventually she started laying down quietly. At the end of the two weeks she was taking her nap on cue. She has a morning nap from 10am(we wake up at 7am) until about noon and then again in the afternoon from 3:30 to about 5pm. She is in bed by 9:30.
    lvaughn26

Answer by lvaughn26 at 4:20 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Kids go through lots of developmental changes and many growth spurts. As these occur, their sleep patterns (and eating habits) will shift. Keep in mind that some of us are morning people and some of us are night owls; this tendency will start appearing soon.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:05 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• My son at one started switching up his schedule too. Sometimes he takes his morning nap and sometimes he doesn't, but the afternoon nap is still constant. If he doesn't want to take his morning nap then I put him down for his afternoon nap earlier around 12pm. I never let him sleep past 3 in the afternoon because I like him going to bed at 7pm. You can try waking your little one ealier in the morning like around 6, 7 am.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:31 AM on Apr. 25, 2009