does anyone know anything about custody cases and what are the fathers and grandmothers' rights'

My daughter is divorced and she has joint custody, but the father and the grandmother (fathers' mother) are trying to get full custody. The father really doesn't take care of her, his mother does. He is a no good bum who doesn't like to work.

kat1956

Asked by kat1956 at 2:43 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in General Parenting

• It depends on the state. The one state that I know of that has grandparent rights is DE. Not sure about other states.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 2:51 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• It all depends on the state, I would highly recommend an attorney that specializes in child custody.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:48 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Of course the father has a right to the child unless it can be proven that his actions may cause harm. In most states grandparents have no assumed rights as far as legal custody is concerned.
    lvaughn26

Answer by lvaughn26 at 4:08 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• You sound like most disgruntled mil's/grandmothers: "Oh he's a lazy bum, he doesn't take care of her". Stay out of it. You have no rights.
    Anonymous

• OMG! This is exactly what im going through with my daughter. And the grandmother wont stay out of it. They would most likely give you custody if he doesnt have a job. Worst case senario is he will get visitation. Because he doesnt even suport himself. His mother does. The only way you would loose custody is if they can prove that you are an unfit mother.
    Sara722

Answer by Sara722 at 10:13 PM on Apr. 24, 2009