How do you get a 8 and 9 year old 2 clean their own room

Both kids are adhd and cant keep thier mind on anything for to long

ProudMommy1998

Asked by ProudMommy1998 at 2:46 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• My son is also ADHD, I take a book and sit right outside his room while he cleans and just give reminders once in a while to keep him focused. I also break it up into smaller tasks and give him breaks. First, take all dirty clothes and put in hamper, next pick up all garbage and put in trashbag, make bed, put clothes away, pick up toys. I give lots of praise when he accomplishes the little tasks. I have to be specific. Go clean your room, is to broad for his overactive brain. It really works to break the clean your room down. You could also SHOW them what needs to be done so they will know whay is expected the next time, but still break it all down. Much less overwhelming.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:29 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• My kids know that they can either keep their rooms clean or I'll come clean it myself. The problem is that my big black gargage bag cleaning method isn't something that they want to have happen to them. I haven't had to do it in years! roflol They have heard it about it from some of the older kids and just KNOW. ROFLOL I also require that bedrooms be clean before dessert is given out, so that there is a definitive time frame for the rewards of their labor. *If you have to use the big black garbag bag method, then you can require extra chores to earn back your finds for the first few times, but don't make it easy to get back. If they still don't do it after that then just take that bag out with the rest of the trash.
    mommy9

Answer by mommy9 at 3:06 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I am a mother of 4 and I just started telling them that they had a half hour to clean or I would throw their toys and stuff away. When you finally go in with the trash bag they start picking up really fast. If their is still stuff out after that then its probably the stuff they dont care for anymore. Maybe its time to get rid of it.
    Sara722

Answer by Sara722 at 6:53 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• What doesn't get put away, gets taken away and must be earned back by doing extra chores (also known as slave labor).

Answer by rkoloms at 7:34 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• My son is also ADHD, and I do the same as another poster - break it up into smaller sections. He looks at this room and becomes overwhelmed, as well as distracted (even if you turn the tv off, etc...) So one step at a time. It sometimes takes all day, but it gets done!
    dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 9:26 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• ok i must be a boot camp mom cuz,i taught my kid's at a young age make it fun , rewarding,and then reward them with a variety of things, like a allowance, or a party with supervision, or something they can mesh with,not what u think sit down and ask what if anything what would u like for a reward and negotiate, i tell u, my kids clean cook,and they bake with me, and all there friends love me, so its how u create your own theme cleaning and crazy chore day, it worked for me and my friends are amazed, so i hope this works for all the moms..................
    baybee7171

Answer by baybee7171 at 3:34 PM on Apr. 25, 2009

• first clean ,then play, no play until clean...works for me. also keep totes just to throw junk in like basketball.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 4:40 PM on Apr. 25, 2009