what is the deal with cats?

with my first child i lived in missouri and my dr told me not to handle cats. Well i am on my 3rd pregnancy and i have never heard anybody every say not to handle cats. was my dr just a weirdo or should you really not handle cats while pregnant?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:49 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• it's the litter you want to be cautious of, since cats feces have a bacteria deadly to the fetus. but it is rare, and if you've had cats for a long time, chances are you're immune. but try to have other change the box, or if you have no choice, use gloves.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:52 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• its not the cat its the litter box, its the cats poo. so have someone else clean the box or if you have to clean it use gloves and a face mask wash hand after.
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 2:55 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Cats can catch a parasite that can be spread to humans through poop. If you have had cats for years, it's not a problem... you've probably already been exposed. But to be safe, have someone else clean the liter box or wear gloves and wash well when you do. The parasite can harm the unborn baby.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:56 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Like Owl_Feather said, it's the litter/feces you need to be concerned about and the problem is rare. I had cats for all four pregnancies and never had any issues, but I did have my husband change the cat litter while I was pregnant just to be safe.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 2:56 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• its toxoplasmosis and since kittys use a litter box they can carry the infected poo in their paws and on their fur (think dingleberries lol) and it has to do with inhaling it or if the bacteria were to get in a wound of yours. its not necessarily in all litterboxes, but it can be so you just have to be extra careful. and then after the baby is born cats have a tendency to smell the milk on a babys lips or on their breath and try to get it out (so ive heard) which can be gross and also can cause allergies for baby. hope that helps! =)
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 3:05 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• The bacteria can cause toxoplasmosis.
    mlregalado

Answer by mlregalado at 3:05 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• What they said! It's changing the litter that's the problem, not handling the cats. :)
    goldenfox

Answer by goldenfox at 3:06 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• my doctor told me the same thing. She said that some chemical in the litter and the cats poop can kill the fetus. so I try to have my boyfriend clean it, but man its a pain in the but to get him to do it. I have to ask him constantly day after day till he finally gets tired of me asking before hell do it. and sometimes he just doesn't want to do it because he doesn't like the smell but then he gets mad when she starts peeing on the clothes because she ran out of room in her litter box. so yeah its the litter
    jessiesosore

Answer by jessiesosore at 6:11 PM on Apr. 28, 2009