Rice

Is there a Christian symbol for rice thrown on the church steps after or a wedding or on a grave?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:59 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I asked IF there was a symbol...but I can see with the white dress comment we are going to turn this into another round of its all pagan so the question is closed.

and a white dress and veil can be worn by good Christian women without them being nuts. I understand you need it to be all about pagans. What next ?God is pagan?
    Anonymous

• Rice is thrown at weddings in hopes that the bride is already pregnant - it's a fertility symbol. Rice was included in graves in a lot of ancient cultures along with tools and other things the deceased would need to carry on in the next world.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:07 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Many of our Christian wedding symbols actually started in the ancient world, long before Christianity began, like throwing rice. This custom came from Asia. Rice symbolized fertility. It was thrown at newly married couples thousands of years ago to insure that they would have many children.

Anonymous

• wow I had no idea throwing rice was a christian thing. It just thought it was traditional. Mind you our friends when over board on that one... rice in our suitcases and our dorm room when we got back it was rigged to be dumped all over us HAHA hilarious! Lets just say I didnt like it in my luggage... such as my underwear geesh!! LOL
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 3:24 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• ya, i just thought that everyone threw rice, or whatever else you are allowed to throw now... I didnt think that you were allowed to throw rice any more anyways. That's why people do the bubbles now....
    ministrymom

Answer by ministrymom at 3:46 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Throwing things at a newly married couple is a very old tradition that may date back to ancient Rome or Egypt or even further back. The custom is intended to give newlyweds good luck, and most of the items thrown at the couple represent fertility and abundance.

Food has always been a popular choice because it symbolizes plentiful crops. Seeds and nuts symbolize fertility because a little seed may grow into a big plant, an appropriate sentiment for a newly married couple. Grains such as wheat and rice were thrown over the newlyweds in the hopes that the couple would be prosperous and have many children to work the land.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:49 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• While tossing rice became most popular in America, many countries have their own traditions. In Morocco, figs, dates, and raisins are thrown to encourage a "fruitful" union. Italians traditionally shower the newlyweds with sweets and sugarcoated nuts. (The word "confetti" may derive from the root for the Italian word for "confectionery.") In Korea, the groom's father tosses red dates at his new daughter-in-law to bring fertility. In France, wheat greets the happy couple. Eggs represent new life in some European countries and are thrown at newlyweds. An old Irish tradition has the couple being pelted with pots and pans (ouch!) in honor of their new domestic life.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:50 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Funny story: My mother refused to allow us to throw anything because she believe that throwing rice is a "pagan custom" and she would have no part of that in any wedding she was funding. She said that as a good Christian she wouldn't do anything that symbolised a pagan ritual. That included throwing rice for fertility...

But then she made me wear a vail and white dress...

The woman is nuts!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:53 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Nice talk about your mother Sabrina
    Anonymous

• many people hold to traditions that they do not know are based on older pagan practices. My father-in law set my daughter easter eggs, He is an assembly of God pentecostal and he does not seem to know that easter eggs and Christmas tree are originally pagan.
    fireball1978

Answer by fireball1978 at 4:07 PM on Apr. 24, 2009