Sciatica.

Ok, so does anyone know of ANYTHING at all that helps relieve sciatic pain while pregnant? I'm almost 29 weeks and all I ever hear is to take tylenol, but it's not working and I refuse to take anything stronger (it's a battle to get me to take the tylenol). So now I'm wondering if there's a way I can lay down when I'm resting, or pregnancy safe stretches or anything that can help ease some of this pain, or do I just need to grit my teeth and bear it until the baby is born?

heratyc

Asked by heratyc at 3:13 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I have it, and sorry to say, but i still have it three years after having my son.
    I started yoga, and i use heat pads at night. We were in the market for a new mattress, so i made sure it was one that i would be able to sleep on my back with. Sleeping on my side killed.

I heard acupuncture works, but ive never tried it.

Yoga helped.
    redderbedder

Answer by redderbedder at 3:20 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I had that happen, and not much you can do. Just ride it out. Take what your allowed, and if you pray do so.
    Anonymous

• ive heard that going to a chiropracter is really helpful for sciatica. just make sure they have good referances as far as working on pregnant people goes. i had it earlier and i used a heating pad and it worked pretty good.
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 3:18 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I've had sciatica on and off for 10 years due to a bulging disc and spinal stenosis... Been through acupuncture, on every type of nartctic pain killer you could imagine, chiropractor, epidural steroid injections, special imaging studies, etc. The thing that finally got rid of it for me (back when it was constant for like 2 years) was dropping 60 pounds in 3 months.

If you have access to one, go see a D.O. It's a doctor that specializes in orthopedic problems and alignment. I had SI joint dysfunction for the first 4 months of this pregnancy, which was a very miserable situation. Sciatica, severe hip and low back pain, and the feeling of my pelvis shifting as I walked... It happens b/c everything gets super stretchy when you're preggers. The D.O. that I've been seeing for it has been adjusting me for months and finally (knock on wood) it has eased up. I could be more than just a flare up of sciatica is what I'm saying!
    Nunyabiznes

Answer by Nunyabiznes at 4:16 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Stretching, heating pads, icy/hot or biofreeze, and tylenol (as worthless as that is). But seriously, your alignment may be off as well so I would go straight to see a DO. I saw a chiropractor too before seeing a DO and he couldn't even figure out that my hips were out, so that was expensively worthless.
    Nunyabiznes

Answer by Nunyabiznes at 4:18 PM on Apr. 24, 2009