Does your baby have a bedtime?

Why or why not? What is your bedtime routine for those of you who have one?

YzmaRocks

Asked by YzmaRocks at 3:18 PM on Apr. 24, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My first daughter was always in bed by 7 or 7:30 until she was well past her first birthday. With my daughter who's 7 months old now, her bedtime is closer to 7:30 or 8:00 because of various logistical considerations of having 2 kids... The bedtime routine I have found to work wonderfully, and with both girls I started doing it religiously by 6 months is:
    dinner -- brief playtime -- cleanup time (doesn't apply to the 7 mo, obviously) -- bath -- pjs -- milk (for the 7 mo whom I'm nursing, my toddler has milk with dinner) -- toothbrushing -- a few books -- lights out for a few songs in rocking chair -- in the crib, awake but calm... Both girls just talk themselves to sleep without crying. I think bedtimes (at least a half-hour window) and bedtime routines are very important for healthy sleep. And I keep bedtime consistent no matter what happens with naps. If they're not tired, they just take longer to drift of...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 3:25 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• my son is 1. we go with the flow and he just naturally fell into a routine, getting tired around the same times everyday. but it is changing and it's confusing since it hasnt been the same every night for a few days. but in general, he seems to be tired close to 9pm. I give him a bath (sometimes we skip it...) then a story/song and bed. his naps vary depending on when he wakes up, but he usually wakes up 8am on the dot and is ready for his first nap by 11am. his second nap is usually 430ish pm.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:21 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• my baby doesn't right now she gets tired at 9 and we put her down after she falls asleep probably when she is 1 we will put her in her crib before she is sleeping at 9pm she is 8 and half months old
    ethansandjsmom

Answer by ethansandjsmom at 3:22 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• Between 6 and 7. If it's bath night, we'll give him a bath and make his bottle. I feed him oatmeal and then put his PJ's on and then feed him his bottle. He usually falls asleep right after his bottle, and if not by 7 I'll put him in his crib and he'll fall asleep within a half hour.
    Anonymous

• It used to be 9, but has become like 815-830 in the last week. She started waking earlier and going to bed earlier. I welcome the change. We have dinner at 6pm and then we play for a while, take a bath at 730 (usually about 20-25 minutes) Anyway, she has a bath every night, but I only wash her hair every other night, unless she got food in it. Then we have a bottle and she gets super sleepy, so I put her in her crib, cover her with a blankie, and she rolls over and goes to sleep. She is such a good sleeper now. The first 3 months were TOUGH!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:34 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• My daughter is almost 6 months old now and we usually give her a bath around 8pm then we feed her. We put her to bed by 10pm at the lastest, she usually falls asleep right away. She usually wakes up at around 9-10am the next morning. This routine works great for us and her. Im sure by the time she is a year old bedtime will be a bit earlier.
    Jenpdxs

Answer by Jenpdxs at 4:06 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• My daughter is almost 6 months. She has been on a bed time routine since she was 6 weeks. BUT it didn't always go as planned and she was still waking up a couple times a night.
    Now, she gets cereal and a tbls of food around 6:30-7 and then a bath and then a nice warm bottle. She is in bed by 8. She doesn't always fall asleep right away but she easily puts herself to sleep.
    JmeSoup

Answer by JmeSoup at 4:14 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• I am pretty laid back when it comes to my ds schedule. I do have one but his bedtime is usually between 830 and 9 pm depending on how tired he is. when we get ready for bed I change his diaper and clothes and feed him then hold him for a little bit and love him then put him in his crib awake but sleepy around 845-9
    djanowski775

Answer by djanowski775 at 4:46 PM on Apr. 24, 2009

• My older 2 kids set their own schedule, naps at appropriate times, bed time at a reasonable hour, we sort of followed their lead there. My 3rd is a year and took some time getting into a routine. Now that she was in one she is now switching from 2 naps to one nap. Bed time is still the same though.
    It's a pretty flexabile routine being that I have 3 to get to bed often on my own. After dinner we have a bath, if time and necessity allows for it, jammies, teeth and a story if they've behaved. Then we pray, together or seperately and then they are off to their own beds. I'll lay the baby down with her bottle and mobile on, yes I know the bottle is not ideal but I do what I can. Then I'll go to the older 2, talk with them give them some cuddles and tuck them in. Some times it's the only one on one time the day allows. This is usually before 8.
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 4:53 PM on Apr. 24, 2009